cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's break up

As soon as we get over ‘boys germs’, ‘girls germs’,holding hands in public (or other forms of PDA) etc etc it becomes all systems go in the big world of ‘love’ . Girls on girls, girls on boys, girls on other girls, boys on boys, boys on girls falling in ‘like’ or ‘love’ with each other all over the world (What does liking or loving someone else even mean).

We look at some of these relationships as social experiments- that may be harmless or part of our learning. Whilst, others form into deep, enduring and long lasting relationships. The intensity, time and overall experience of every relationship is unique.

But what happens when things go pear-shaped? What happened when the relationship falls apart? What happens when we lose a relationship?

Coping with a break-up of a meaningful relationship with either a friend or romantic partner can be a challenging experience. During this time we’re likely to be feeling conflicting emotions that may impede our recovery. We may feel a sense of grief from the loss but maybe also a release of tension from a new found freedom.

In my experience I am not sure any break-up is the same. Going through a break-up for me was like my world shifted completely, I felt like someone had amputated my left arm. Where as, I have watched my friends and siblings cope completely differently. Some seem unaffected, others hide what they are going through and some acted out in ways that were difficult to understand. No coping strategy is better than another. Everyone copes with break-ups differently. However it is important to realise that some of our coping strategies may not be as helpful or positive as we think.

Since this is something many of us have been through we’re likely to have some amazing wisdom to share about some helpful and some not so helpful ways of coping. We’ll be talking about positive coping strategies as well as what to do if we’re not handling a break-up as well as we’d like.

Join us at 8pm on Monday 29th April right here for our Monday night Getting Real session, we’d love if you could share in the discussion.

Highlighted

Re: Let's break up

Hi there everyone and welcome to tonight’s Getting Real session!!

Tonight we’ll be discussing how we cope with break-ups. It’s quite likely we have all experienced a break-up at some point and so I expect some interesting dialogue about the good and not-so-good ways we have coped. The different ways we cope as a result of a break-up are likely to affect our emotional state which will affect everything else in our life (family, friends, work, school etc.), so we really need to look after ourselves as we heal.

LeaLea07, Sophie and I will be running tonight’s session and we are all super glad you can join in on tonight’s discussion Smiley Happy

Please keep in mind the Community Guidelines for tonight’s GR session so we can get the most out of it. If you do feel as though anything in tonight’s discussion upsets or triggers you in anyway, remember there are people you can talk to like family and friends. Also, the ‘Emergency Help & Info’ tab (the yellow one) in the top right hand corner of this page offers 24/7 support.

So let’s get things underway with tonight’s first question:

1. Have you ever been in a relationship that ended in a break-up?

Hey everyone Smiley Happy YAY I'm on time 

I have been in many, some break ups hurt more than others, in my experience the older and the more committed you get the harder the break up becomes. 

Certainly, I have been in a few relationships that have eventually broken down, ended and we went our separate ways. (This includes close friendships and 'romantic' relationships i guess you would say.)

This can be anything? Including friendships and not romantic stuff?

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Hey guys, I've finally been able to get on here for a GR sesh! Smiley Happy

Have you ever been in a relationship that ended in a break-up?

Yep. Looking back now, I probably wasn't ready for that relationship to begin with, and it's probably a good thing it ended.

sure nightwing - friendships break up can be even harder...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi Ruenhonx and welcome!

You’re right, I think the longer and more commited the relationship is the harder it can be on us. I too have been in several break ups that I dealt with in many different ways.

Hi everyone. Great topic Smiley Happy 

I've only had to go through one break up and it was a relatively peaceful one so I don't have too much experience on the nasty side of breaking up. 

Fingers crossed it stays that way Smiley Happy

And seeming as though we're including friendships, I've had a lot of experience with that over the years Smiley Sad

I agree with Sophie, friendship breakups are probably the hardest kind to deal with...