cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Let's break up

one way break ups can bet SO HARD. And actually being someone who has been part of both, being the breakuper-er might be a smidge harder sometimes - especially when you love them still but know they are bad for you in some ways

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@lokifish, I agree with you there, if the relationship does end mutually, it’s likely there will be less pain. As LeaLea07 said though, the end of a relationship, no matter who initiates it, everyone will generally feel some hurt.

@sophie - I completely agree. Sometimes its like the age old

head verse heart battle.

What seems right can also be wrong.

Although I haven't really been in either situation, what everyone has said would be true. No matter how it happens, break-ups would hurt. It definitely helps to ease the pain when it's mutual, like lokifish said but also if the person being broken up with understood why, which is probably the same as mutual but I have no idea.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Highlighted

Because we have discussed the way break-ups make us feel and the nature of how break ups vary (e.g whether you instigate, receive or mutally agree on a break-up). It would be great to hear

What are some positive coping strategies to help mitigate unpleasant feelings associated with a break-up?

What are some positive coping strategies to help mitigate unpleasant feelings associated with a break-up?

Well, with friendship break-ups, I try to remind myself of the friends I do have and remind myself that it doesn't matter and it's not my fault, it's not anyone's fault really. 

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

@N1ghtW1ng... i think you have a fantastic point. People come and go throughout our lives. So when we loose certain friendships there is a chance we will be greeted with opportunities to form new or different friendships.

omg, funnily enough, RO.com has a grrrreat factsheet on coping with breakups! http://au.reachout.com/Coping-with-a-break-up

my fav: Let yourself heal
Healing after a break up takes time. It can be difficult to come to terms with what has happened and what to do next. Don’t expect to bounce back immediately and accept that you’ll have good days and bad, but it will get better in the end.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Even though you might not feel like it, exercising and eating well and regularly, getting enough sleep etc. can help no matter what the source of unpleasant feelings. I think making sure you spend time with friends & family is really important, especially to fill in the time that you'd normally spend with your ex/old friend. Smiley Happy

Talking with friends and trying to take my mind off it by doing other things I enjoy has really helped.

This factsheet offers some really helpful tips! http://au.reachout.com/Factsheets/B/Building-better-coping-skills