Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Let's break up

great tips y'all

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

.      What are some positive coping strategies to help mitigate unpleasant feelings?

I think we all deal with a relationship break up differently.

One positive way I found to cope was exercise - i found redirecting my negative energy and emotion into something really helped me.

Awesome positive suggestions everyone. We want to liven this space up abit so we thought some of you may have some stories or experiences that highlight

What are some negative coping strategies and how can we avoid them?

(This doesn't have to be about you - it could be about a friend, sibling, or anyone else you know).

share your wisdom on this with the rest of us...

Ready, Set >>> GO.

I think some people may start trying to 'self-medicate' with drugs and alcohol which although may give some short-term relief, will not help us in the long-term. I think dwelling on the negative aspects of the relationship and the negative emotions can drag out the healing process too.

Blaming and harming yourself (if you were the one being dumped) is a very negative coping strategy that wouldn't help at all. I think that you can avoid that, or any other negative coping strategy by remembering that you're not alone. Plently of people have felt what you might be feeling. It's never your fault, as long as you stay strong and believe in yourself, it doesn't matter if you broke up with someone you liked because if you broke up, perhaps it was for the best. You never know what might happen the next day, or the next. You might meet a better guy/girl and be grateful that you are no longer in a relationship with the other person. If you just see it through to the end you might be amazed at what you find. 

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Here is something that I read on the internet today when I was doing "research" for tonight...

"My friend recently broke up with his girlfriend of five years and immediately went on facebook and changed his status to ‘Sam is alone his cold and heartless girlfriend dumped him when his life was already falling apart’ (exact quote). He then changed his profile picture to one of him with his head in his heads and a look of pure misery on his face, and went through all of their romantic photos and wrote new captions like ‘was this the point you realised you’d stopped loving me?!"

I mean, that's kind of silly but it does highlight that facebook especially can be unhealthy during break ups... consider a facebook 2 week self imposed ban if you find youself become a quasi-stalker

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

oh, bethecahnge - that's pretty common... might help temporarily short term but certainly not sustainable. don't beat yrself up if you find yrself doing it, but make plans to make a change

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I completely agree sophie. It is so hard to stop yourself thinking about what the other person is up to, so you try and find out for yourself. Things on social media can be taken out of context or we discover things we weren't ready to face.

nightwing, self blame is indeed a bad coping mechanism and you are very wise in what you've said. If only we could all remember these wise words in the midst of the breakup!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Sophie-RO I agree. Facebook can be a very unsafe place for people, especially when they are going through some issues at that point in time. Banning yourself from facebook would be a very wise move, in fact, there is a website that bans certain websites from your computer for a period of your choosing. I can't remember the name but it was amusing. 

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!