cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Live GR: All About Adulting, 7th of October, 7:30pm AEST

So next question!

What scares you about becoming an adult or challenges you in adulthood?

For me, it is definitely trying to figure out what I want to do in my life and how I want to change the world

962423c8ba7daac0a8669c7eadd5b1ae.jpg

Highlighted

I guess not knowing how to do something and being afraid I won't have anyone to help me out! Also making mistakes. Also I guess I sort of worry that me growing up means my family is getting older and I have less time with them. Also having to make important decisions
Highlighted

@Lost_Space_Explorer5 yeah that's a mood, having to make decisions and feeling like you're running out of time to do so Smiley Sad 

going out of my comfort zone more and more frequently

phone calls

emails....why so many emails Smiley LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

Not doing things at the 'right time' and letting people down. I think the demands on young adults are so hard now. For a lot of 'adult' or professional jobs, not only do you need a degree a two, but sometimes you need things such as a portfolio of your work, years of relevant experience, good references, a licence and a car. It's almost impossible for people who have just finished studying to have the money and time to complete all these requirements. You could also be competing with people with more life experience who have changed careers or lost their jobs due to the pandemic. I applied for a job recently that involved working with youth and had a graduate rate, so I thought that they were looking for a young person or recent graduate, but the people who interviewed me and who were working in that position there were much older. One thing I wish I had known before I started my degree is that you needed a lot of experience to get a lot of jobs in that field as well as a degree. A lot of employers I've encountered want someone who has done that particular job before, and I've been told by one place I interviewed at that one year of experience doing that same job wasn't enough and that they were looking to save money on training by only hiring more experienced people.

Highlighted

omg the pHoNE cALLs @ecla34 whyyy Smiley LOL
Highlighted

I do a lot of adulty things but phone calls.... no thank you!!! sometimes I call and hope they don’t answer!
Highlighted

I'm kind of new to this chat. Where can I find it?

Highlighted

ugh yep @WheresMySquishy, when you need work experience but you can't get work experience because you have no work experience Smiley Indifferent
Highlighted

@ecla34  I can relate to the emails thing! I had to send several today. Either I don't hear from anyone or everyone emails me at once. Smiley LOL
I also don't like phone calls. I often say for people to send me details by email rather than me having to call them because I'm busy during the day and may not pick up straightaway, but they often end up calling me and asking me to call them back anyway. Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted

Whoopsies sorry I'm a little bit late to the chat! I think the most daunting thing about adult life is how independent you have to be at times. Growing up, I eagerly anticipated the freedom of being an independent adult, and to some extent I love the independence I have nowadays. However, it can also be scary having to handle situations and encounter things on your own, such as paying taxes and buying your own home. This is especially since schools tend to focus on teaching very theoretical work, rather than preparing students practically and teaching them how to handle adult life. Also, because you become busier with things such as uni work, I feel as though people tend to spend more time away from loved ones as an adult. As someone who gets nervous very easily, not always having my family or friends to be beside me when I need help can be troubling.