cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Live GR: All About Adulting, 7th of October, 7:30pm AEST

What are you looking forward to about becoming an adult or do you appreciate in adulthood?

I appreciate the independance, I also have been coming to the realisation that i don't have to give up certain parts of my personality or interests, or change into someone super different in order to be mature, which is really nice Smiley Happy

@featuringme you got me! Smiley Tongue I've had mad cravings to reread it recently, so i should take it as a sign Smiley Wink

@Saltwaterdreamtime that sounds daunting as anything, having to make such a huge transition so quickly Smiley Sad

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Driving for sure! I'm able to go to the shops whenever I feel like it, and I can drive other people around and drop them off at places. I'm not too sure why driving is so much fun, probably because of the independence I feel when I drive.

Also, as an adult my parents have been a lot more relaxed with what I do, so I can pretty much go out whenever I want to and can do more things. When I was younger, my parents didn't let me go on sleepovers, but I had a sleepover with my school last year, so I think that restriction has gone away!

@LiliannI'm sorry you've experienced so much rejection. Smiley Sad I hope a good employer sees your potential!
I've experienced much of the same. Something I've managed to do is find short term or one-off freelance work in my field, but I still want something more permanent and stable.
It's so hard to find the motivation to continuously write cover letters and change your resume too.

More questions!

What are common challenges adults come across and how do you deal with it? Do you have any tips for managing life stressors that come with growing up?

growing up youth GIF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Yeah was a bit shit when you get promised programs for independence etc and they don’t deliver so you’re just like oh yeah just wing it hahaha

Hm managing finances, finding work, maintaining friendships, managing stress, keeping up with hobbies, studying, looking after yourself, looking after others. As for tips I'm not sure maybe like remembering you're not alone and not being afraid to ask for help if you need?

Wow they really threw you in the deep end there @Saltwaterdreamtime Smiley Surprised You definitely have done a good job winging it by the sounds of it!

What are common challenges adults come across and how do you deal with it? Do you have any tips for managing life stressors that come with growing up?
There are so many. Something that has been hard is watching family members get older and needing increased care. It can be hard to see them like that and accept that they are getting older or different from how they used to be. I've tried to deal with it through self-care, focusing on my hobbies, talking to and looking at different supports, asking how I can be there for them, researching their conditions, chatting to friends and family.

Oh definitely @WheresMySquishy Smiley Sad That sounds so hard

That reminds me of the thing where as you grow up you realise people who looked after you are just as lost as you are and have their own difficulties. Like you can really look up to someone and then find out they weren't the person you thought they were

@Lost_Space_Explorer5  Not being afraid to ask for help is a big thing. Even though we're adults, we don't always have to be completely independent. Smiley Happy