cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Live GR: All About Adulting, 7th of October, 7:30pm AEST

@ecla34  That's so true, life is so much easier when you can look up directions or use an app. I often use apps for public transport. They've saved me so many times.
When my grandparents came to Australia, they would take buses and trains to visit other relatives who had also moved here. They had to write down bus timetables and which stop to get off at, and count the stops. But one day, they tried to catch a bus and got completely lost, so my dad had to come and find them. Then they stopped travelling by themselves after that and just asked people to give them lifts.

This has been such an awesome and entertaining chat! I've loved reading everyone's answers.
Thank you all! Smiley Happy

Have a great night! Smiley Happy

Thanks so much for the chat guys, was an honour to hear your insights into adult life! Hope everyone learnt something through this chat, and I look forward to the next GR Smiley Very Happy

@Saltwaterdreamtime hehe cute!

So nice chatting with you all tonight! Hope you have a great rest of the week Smiley Very Happy Heart

Good Night GIF by TEEY

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

@ecla34 at 9pm not so cute hahah

Aww man! I missed it! I'm not exactly an adult anyway, I'm only 15... Smiley Tongue

Haha depends on your definition of an adult @xXLexi_Lou122Xx! We tried to make the questions pretty open so anyone could answer, regardless of age Smiley Happy

Have absolutely loved reading this chat, some absolute gold in here!

I am still AWFUL at knowing my left and right, so all the peeps out there who said they don't have a great sense of direction - i feel that. I really do.

Also @featuringme when you said you wished we learnt about some of these issues rather than Shakespeare I laughed a LOT and i also agreed a LOT. This chat has really highlighted a lot of gaps in general school learning, particularly about gaining employment (and the experience to get employment?! gosh @WheresMySquishy it is wild out there in job land isn't it Cat Surprised) and learning about finances that I can't believe aren't being taught regularly. Too much Shakespeare, not enough learning about what on earth taxes are. 

It's lovely to read too that people are enjoying/looking forward to the freedom part of adulthood, I do think that part is pretty awesome Heart

free bob ross GIF

Comedy Sketch GIF by NETFLIX

1. What is an 'adult'? What do adults do? Do you consider yourself one?

For me an adult is less about age and more about the kinds of responsibilities you have the outlook you have on life. Adults take accountability for their homes, choices and future. They also have heaps of fun and create a life that makes them happy Smiley Happy  I do consider myself one (it took me ages though!!) 

2. What scares you about becoming an adult or challenges you in adulthood?

Well, I guess what scares me is basically what I find intimidating in life. Adulthood requires you to be open to change and challenges you've never faced before, which can be really hard. 

3. What are you looking forward to about becoming an adult or do you appreciate in adulthood?

So many things. Being an adult gives you choice and freedom to live the way you want to - this can come with so much fun and adventure. I appreciate having my own home that I can decorate, invite friends over to and relax in. I love being able to plan fun things and have unique experiences. 

4. What are common challenges adults come across and how do you deal with it? Do you have any tips for managing life stressors that come with growing up?

Lots of things come up, finding jobs, being responsible for running a household, having to manage relationships with partners/friends/family. My main tips would be to remember that just because you are an adult you don't have to have know everything - never be afraid to ask for help. Getting support has been the most beneficial thing for me in learning how to be an adult. It will take time to feel completely on top of everything and I would say that even the most experienced adults still need support. 

5. What's something you wish they taught you about 'adult life' in school? Is there something you wished people would talk more about when it comes to being an 'adult'?

Mainly that being an adult can mean a lot of different things - you don't have to have a fancy job or get married to be taken seriously as an adult. That all it means is growing into your own person and doing things that make you happy, while being able to balance all of the necessary things that keep you housed and fed Smiley Happy 

6. Were your expectations about becoming a 'grown up' accurate?

In some respects yes - I always wanted to grow up so I could do whatever I wanted haha. But I didn't realise how much I would still need my family 

@Hannah-RO haha glad I made you have a laugh Smiley Very Happy