cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Live GR: Body Image, 13th July 7:30 AEST

Has there been anything that has positively influenced your perception of body image?
I was influenced by songs about developing a healthy body image, such as All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor and Pretty Hurts by Beyonce. It has also helped me to look at photos of celebrities when they're out and about or before they were edited as opposed to how they look on album covers or in magazines.
I also think it's helped me to be surrounded by people who are more positive about their bodies and are of all shapes, sizes and appearances as opposed to people who complain about their body or try to change their appearance all the time. I remember having an interesting conversation with one of my nursing home residents about how our bodies have changed as we got older. It was amazing that despite growing up in different generations, we had similar experiences.

Highlighted

@ecla34 aw I really needed to hear that Heart thank you so much
Highlighted

@ecla34  I agree! Some people can be unhealthy even though they look fine on the outside, and people can be healthy regardless of their size. People can also put on weight despite making healthy-sounding food choices and exercising.
In the last couple of years, I've had high triglycerides. My GP gave me an information sheet from a book saying that it's mostly caused by overeating and eating too much of certain foods, but I don't often eat those foods and don't eat much during the day. I do have a family history of high triglycerides and it can be genetic.

Highlighted

@ecla34 exactly, and what is seen as 'fat' can be so different anyway as people carry weight in different places. Like I honestly don't know if I'm overweight or not, my BMI suggests I am but I carry all my weight on my legs so it's confusing. Also, some people are so obsessed with BMI, but research suggests it isn't really accurate for everyone, as long as your keeping yourself healthy!

Also, in my experience gaining muscle can definitely cause you to gain weight, too!

(replying to latest question, just pushing through brain fog haha).

Highlighted

Has there been anything that has positively influenced your perception of body image?
I think just generally being sick of the negativity and toxicity surrounding body image, and knowing how damaging it can be. It's also nice to see an increase of diverse body types in the media, instead of having one thing being constantly promoted. This is going to sound weird but also embracing my sexuality, I know personally I was so in the closet I always blocked my feelings towards women and instead of allowing myself to feel attraction I negatively compared myself to them. Accepting myself has made me appreciate all body types! I'm aware this probably isn't everyone's experience, though I generally think Pride is a really good place to find positive body image and self expression! Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

@Hozzles  I agree! According to my BMI, I was underweight for most of my life and my pediatrician even offered to put me on growth hormones but my parents said no. In the last couple of years, I found myself suddenly gaining weight despite eating much less and more 'healthier' than I did when I was underweight. My metabolism has changed a lot and I don't know why, but I'm trying a new kind of medication to see if it's medication-related. Like you, I also carry most of the weight on my legs and hips.

Highlighted

Unfortunately it's time to wrap up now.. But thank you so much to @Hozzles  @ecla34  @Bananatime04 @Bee @WheresMySquishy for chatting tonight about body image! You all had very insightful things to say and gave me new perspectives on things! Smiley Happy

For anyone who couldn't make it on the chat tonight you are welcome to respond when you get the chance! Smiley Very Happy

Good night everyone! Smiley Happy

Annotation 2020-07-13 214230.jpg

Highlighted

Thanks so much everyone for all your insights! I've really enjoyed this GR! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thank you so much for the awesome chat tonight @Lost_Space_Explorer5 @ecla34 @WheresMySquishy @Hozzles @Bee  Heart

I loved reading your answers Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thanks so much for chatting everyone! I really enjoyed this discussion Smiley Very Happy Heart

Night all!!! Heart

Tired Good Night GIF by Disney

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart