Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Live GR: Discrimination, 18th of May, 7:30 pm AEST

Cool!
Highlighted

Here are our first few questions:

What might discrimination look like? What contexts can discrimination occur in?

giphy

Highlighted

I think that discrimination can look as though it's blatant or be subtle. It can occur in any kind of context, such as in a friendship or relationship, an employment or service context, or just through overlooking people's needs when designing a building. I think that some forms of discrimination can start off with 'good intentions', such as benevolent sexism, while others can be more malicious. I think we all discriminate at some point.

Highlighted

It can definitely occur in a range of different ways. There can be verbal/ physical abuse, but it can also occur more subtly, such as excluding someone, or treating them unfairly in some way. The person doing the discrimination might not even be aware of it, as it may reflect unconscious biases they may hold that not even they are aware of! It's important to be mindful of those situations.

Discrimination can occur in almost every context -- within a family, to school/ the workplace, to friendship groups.

Highlighted

Discrimination doesn’t always have to be outward, it can be subtle. It can occur in the workplace, school/uni, even the supermarket
Highlighted

@Hozzles  I think it's so true what you said that sometimes we don't know that we're discriminating against someone else. There have been a lot of studies done where people favour one group of people over another without realising it.

Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy really great points! For sure, 'oversights' count as discrimination, it's annoying when you start to recognize that a lot of places aren't wheelchair accessible, for instance. Recently I've found I sometimes engage better with texts when they're read out to me, and it's sad how hard it is sometimes to find words-to-speech software available for all websites etc. It's important to recognize that not everyone's perfect, and we can discriminate in some ways even if we're not aware of it. It's human!

Highlighted

Discrimination looks like feeling hurt and being excluded from something. Contexts it occurs in is in school's, workplaces and even at home. It can happy for a multitude of reasons, sexuality, gender and race but for many other reasons apart from those ones. 

Highlighted

It can also happen covertly, like through microagressions about someone or something. 

Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy exactly, in psych I've read a lot about the 'halo effect' -- we tend to attribute positive qualities more to people we consider more attractive! Interesting stuff.