cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Live GR: Discrimination, 18th of May, 7:30 pm AEST

It can also occur is things that we don’t expect for example not being able to buy clothes because of your size and stores limiting styles of clothes to certain sizes so that you cannot wear current fashions, even just the thought that you can go to any store without having trouble finding clothes that will fit you while other have to go to specialty stores or even get things tailor made. 

Highlighted

@Eden1717 exactly! It occurs in so many ways people might not stop to think about! 

Highlighted

@Eden1717 

I totally feel that, one time I went to a store and wanted to get pants that were $30 but then. I got a few sizes up (same design) and then it was more expensive. I didn't get it because it felt so weird. That something like that had occurred. 

Highlighted

@Eden1717  It's so sad when clothing stores don't take into account that every body is different. Smiley Sad I remember how hard it used to be to find shoes for myself and my sister because our shoe sizes weren't the standard sizes. I had to shop in the kids section while she had to get her feet measured and always get assistants to help her. It's also hard for us to buy clothes online. We physically have to go there to see what fits us.

Highlighted

Yes and then there are also things like the cost of “girl” products vs “boy” products. T-shirts are like $30 for a female shirt and 10 for a male and shaving razors are also more expensive if they are pink. 

Highlighted

I can relate to the clothing stores, I remember once I was shopping with a friend, and she wanted shorts for work, she was born female and identifies as that, but she didn’t want the shorts from the womens section and the store assistant who was supposed to help was pretty quick to tell her she was in the wrong area... so she felt the need to pretend they were for me to save the embarrassment
Highlighted

@Saltwaterdreamtime 

That absolutely sucks, that's absolutely disgusting customer service.Did you complain or talk to someone about this?

Highlighted

Really great discussions here! Smiley Very Happy Onto question 2!

Who are some people who are more likely to face discrimination in our current society?

tenor.gif

Highlighted

Nah, I don’t think there was any ill intent, just lack of thought/consideration maybe
Highlighted

@Saltwaterdreamtime  I think discrimination also occurs in the practicality of the clothing. I went to schools that had uniforms and it was hard to move around because the female-gendered clothing would be tight and limit our movements, such as giving us skirts in contrast to pants. I find male-gendered clothing to be a lot more comfortable sometimes.