cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Live GR: Discrimination, 18th of May, 7:30 pm AEST

Who are some people who are more likely to face discrimination in our current society?

Members of the LGBTQIA+ community
People of colour

Women
Elderly

Highlighted

I’ve been discriminated against because of my race... is that racism or discrimination? Are they the same?
Highlighted

@Eden1717 exactly! 'Pink tax' is so real. I also kinda feel the same way for Pride and things, in June which is Pride month companies start painting their products rainbow colours but when the month is over all that support is gone... sometimes companies try to manipulate a show of support when in reality they're just trying to get you to buy something!

Highlighted

question 2: people who are considered unattractive, people of color, women, men in certain situations particularly those pertaining to jobs in child care (as an example), people with disabilities, people with mental health issues.... the list could go on forever 

Highlighted

@Saltwaterdreamtime 

They are the same thing, discrimination is just an umbrella term for any sort of negative behaviour enacted on another person. I'm sorry that that happened though Smiley Sad , it's no fun dealing with racism or any sort of discrimination. 

Highlighted

@Saltwaterdreamtime sorry to hear that Smiley Sad racism is a form of discrimination, basically it's the umbrella and everything else (ageism, sexism, homophobia, racism) lies under that broad category! 

Highlighted

@Eden1717 I like your point about men in health care, that is definitely an issue. It's also true that there are a lot of things discriminating against men, e.g. thinking 'men can't cry/ show emotion', etc. Sometimes, things hurting one group can inadvertently hurt another (e.g. 'crying is a female show of weakness' hurts both men and women). 

Highlighted

Who are some people who are more likely to face discrimination in our current society?
I think that every group which has a characteristic that is uncommon is likely to face discrimination, although there are also stereotypes about things like people's hair colour and social class. I think groups which are different to each other can also discriminate against each other. I personally get annoyed with my rich Baby Boomer neighbours all the time because I feel that they look down on me and don't understand how hard things can be for people who aren't that financially secure or have disabilities or other kinds of challenges.
Highlighted

Also discrimination against poor people and people who are or seem less educated. 

Highlighted

Yeah ok I thought so thanks