cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Live GR: Discrimination, 18th of May, 7:30 pm AEST

@Saltwaterdreamtime  Yep that is the conversation everytime sometimes I make them guess. 

Next question what what can we do I guess try and be kind and accepting of others differences and try to educate ourselves about these issues as best we can.

Highlighted

What are some things we can do to prevent ourselves from judging or discriminating against others?

I find that empathy and trying to imagine what it is like to be the other person and think of their emotions really helps. I also think it's beneficial to ask them what they need or want when trying to be inclusive of them. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that other people have their own issues or problems that I might not fully understand and that I have my own issues too.

@Saltwaterdreamtime  @Eden1717  I'm so sorry you've gone through those experiences! They sound heartbreaking. Smiley Sad

Highlighted

What are some things we can do to prevent ourselves from judging or discriminating against others?
Just checking in with yourself, and noticing your own behaviors. Even just little things like noticing when you're using gendered language for a person you don't know. I've noticed even professionals use language such as 'he' when referring to GPs etc. 'They' is always a better option unless you know a person's pronouns! Another thing can be volunteering and trying to increase friendship groups by mixing with people you don't normally communicate with... it can sometimes be a good way to increase your understanding of others!
...Also, everything @WheresMySquishy just said. Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

@Hozzles  That's so true. It's so easy to do things like that. I remember a funny moment once when I was running participants through my study. We were waiting for another participant and I said something like, 'He's still coming... actually I don't know their gender'. Smiley LOL

Highlighted

Sorry guys I’m going to have it call it a night here
Highlighted

Goodnight @Saltwaterdreamtime! Thank you for all your contributions! It was great chatting to you. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Goodnight @Saltwaterdreamtime! Thank you so much for all your valuable insights! Smiley Very HappyHeart
Highlighted

Next question! Smiley Very Happy

What can you do/ where can you get support if you're being discriminated against?
giphy
Highlighted

Hmm it depends what the situation sometimes family can help you feel batter or a friend sometimes you may need to take things further either legally or to some kind of authority.

Highlighted

What can you do/ where can you get support if you're being discriminated against?
I think that speaking about it with someone you trust can really help to make your feelings feel validated and possibly find a way to resolve it. I also think there are government bodies depending on your state that try to mediate and resolve issues about discrimination. Here is the New South Wales one. Australia also has a Human Rights Commission.
Organisations can also be really helpful, such as human rights ones or ones that fit your identity. I think there are also services if you want to know your rights at work, such as the Fair Work ombudsman.