cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Live GR: Discrimination, 18th of May, 7:30 pm AEST

Help educate people and participate in social action. Do what you can each day to reduce stigma. It can be big or small but keep trying and don’t give up. 

Highlighted

How can we take steps towards change in society to make it a less discriminating place? Can you think of any other ways to be an ally for groups facing prejudice?
Bringing it back to almost every question in this GR... just being mindful of person's needs, and always taking into account that there are feelings behind each person and practicing empathy. It can start by the simple things, like using non-gendered language such as 'they/them' pronouns when you don't know a person's gender, to larger things, like creating or signing a petition to change something, or bringing an issue such as a lack of clothing sizes or a lack of disability access to a company's attention. As I said, volunteering is always an option for someone wanting to do more for groups facing prejudice -- I feel like almost every volunteer opportunity can fall within those lines! 
Highlighted

@Eden1717 what a brilliant way to sum it up! Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

How can we take steps towards change in society to make it a less discriminating place? Can you think of any other ways to be an ally for groups facing prejudice?
I think raising awareness of discrimination, laws against it and ways that people can get help are great places to start. As a society, we need to send a message that we don't tolerate discrimination. I also think that we should examine our own behaviour, try to educate ourselves about differences and more ways to be inclusive and continue growing as individuals. We can take small steps like mixing and learning about people from different groups. Volunteering with different organisations and with people from different or marginalised groups is also a great learning opportunity and can help you become a better ally.

Highlighted

What a cool thread!!

I'm on mobile so I'm not able to get all the questions in one place.. is anyone able to help out?

Highlighted

@Tiny_leaf Here! Smiley Very Happy

1. What might discrimination look like? What contexts can discrimination occur in?
2. Who are some people who are more likely to face discrimination in our current society?
3. What are some things we can do to prevent ourselves from judging or discriminating against others?
4. What can you do/ where can you get support if you're being discriminated against?
5. How can you support someone who is being discriminated against?What are some good ways to be there for someone who is facing discrimination? Maybe something you've done before and recommend to others!
6. How can we take steps towards change in society to make it a less discriminating place? Can you think of any other ways to be an ally for groups facing prejudice?
Highlighted

@Hozzles  I think making a petition is a great idea! Another thing I've tried to do in the past is participating in surveys focusing on views about certain issues. I remember an organisation did one to send a report to the Mental Health Commission regarding consumer and carers' experiences of the healthcare system in relation to my sister's condition.
Some other ways of having our voices heard can be through writing letters and starting campaigns.

Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy exactly! Advocacy can be really important! Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Hey everyone!

It's been awesome having this chat tonight! Reading everyone's words was really inspiring, and it was great to support each other. I think just by having this chat, we've provided the forums with an amazing resource for anyone experiencing discrimination, or for members who are supporting another person who is experiencing it.

Thanks so much to everyone who took part! @ecla34  @Hozzles  @Tiny_leaf  @Eden1717  @Saltwaterdreamtime @ApplesRoses (sorry if I've missed anyone). Also a big thank you to everyone who worked behind the scenes to make this GR possible! Smiley Happy

giphy

Highlighted

Also, anyone who wasn't online tonight is welcome to add their own responses and keep the conversation going!

Goodnight everyone! Smiley Happy