cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Live GR: Discrimination, 18th of May, 7:30 pm AEST

I also wanted to mention before but forgot that within mental health care there is a lot of gender based and racial discrimination. Often symptoms are based off white males this is particularly true for autism and at other times the needless gendering of male vs famale symptoms makes it very difficult for people who aren’t cis gender or male to receive an accurate diagnosis. Women with autism usually receive their diagnosis 10+ years later than males and people of color are also often diagnosed later. I also think that for me having to play white all the time makes me extra good at looking like there is nothing wrong with me but also there is this thing drs do where if you are a pretty white female they take you are lot more seriously and don’t try and rush you out of the hospital as quickly when you are still unwell. It happens so often and black males are often assumed to have aggression issues, but any non attractive women are just labeled attention  seekers. There is honestly so much discrimination within mental health care it is ridiculous but I am going to stop here for now.

Highlighted

Hello @Eden1717, thanks for sharing your experiences. I am sorry to hear that your experiences with the health care system have not been overly positive. You have brought up some important and interesting points that I think other people may resonate with. I am glad that you are feeling comfortable enough to share your experiences with us Heart
Highlighted

I got to this convo a little later than expected.... once uni is over, I'm going to join the chat live, one of these days!

What might discrimination look like? What contexts can discrimination occur in?

Unfortunately, it can come in many forms... microaggressions, for example, are small, daily occurrences that carry negative messages directed at marginalised groups, often towards POC. 

Who are some people who are more likely to face discrimination in our current society?

POC, WOC, queer people and people with different abilities!

What are some things we can do to prevent ourselves from judging or discriminating against others?

Get to know them, educate yourself, research, ask Qs respectfully! and Listen!

What can you do/ where can you get support if you're being discriminated against?
Ask what they need- don't assume! And listen to them. Help them practise self-care!

How can you support someone who is being discriminated against? What are some good ways to be there for someone who is facing discrimination? Maybe something you've done before and recommend to others!

It may be a little unusual, but I actually use my writing to help raise awareness and provide positive/educational messages...so hopefully that helps the community as a whole? And the individual that reads it? I hope so anyways!

How can we take steps towards change in society to make it a less discriminating place? Can you think of any other ways to be an ally for groups facing prejudice?

Yay, allyship! I think being an ally is key, as well as educating yourself, and learning how to create safe spaces for others properly. 

Highlighted

@Eden1717  yep, I totally agree, say it louder for the people in the back! This experience is unfortunately not unique or isolated; none of us are alone in this!

@Saltwaterdreamtime  yep, what you said about discrimination about being subtle is so real... it can be as simple as not been seen or heard, I think. 

@WheresMySquishy  The part about your neighbours, yep! Same here!

@Hozzles what about you said using neutral pronouns, I'm going to take that on board!

@xXLexi_Lou122Xx  I'm so sorry people thought you were attention-seeking when asking for help, that sucks!

Thanks for a great convo as always my good people! Til next time!

Highlighted

I can't stress how important this conversation is and I'm so proud of this community after reading through everyone's responses. 

What might discrimination look like? What contexts can discrimination occur in?

Discrimination looks like placing boundaries in someones life as a direct result of something they don't have control over. Whether it be their class, gender, sexuality, ethnicity or body. Unfortunately discrimination can occur across all social institutions and parts of society. It can also trickle down from beliefs held by the family you grew up in or your location. 

Who are some people who are more likely to face discrimination in our current society?

People who live in poverty, people who live with disability, First Nations/Indigenous people, LGBTIQA+ community, women and also men. 

What are some things we can do to prevent ourselves from judging or discriminating against others?

Challenge your world view and open yourself up to different perspectives when possible. Always listen to other peoples experience of life. Approach people with compassion. 

What can you do/ where can you get support if you're being discriminated against?

Take legal avenues when possible and if you're comfortable, contact Victim Services if you have been subject to violence, reach out to community initiatives and organisations, connect with your community - whoever they may be. 

How can you support someone who is being discriminated against? What are some good ways to be there for someone who is facing discrimination? Maybe something you've done before and recommend to others!

Listen to them, help them make contact with necessary supports, validate them. If you see discrimination taking place in public, if you are comfortable and think it is safe, you can stand by them. Simply having presence can help diffuse a situation and also lets the person in question know that they aren't alone. 

How can we take steps towards change in society to make it a less discriminating place? Can you think of any other ways to be an ally for groups facing prejudice?

Being a good ally looks like: Letting people experiencing discrimination speak for themselves, facilitating space for those people to talk about their experiences and needs. Creating opportunities for people experiencing discrimination. Using your voice to help educate people in your life who may not understand (It is hard but this is usually more successful if you show empathy to the person who doesn't understand how they are being discriminatory). 

If you are a person who has been discriminated against, never ever think you don't deserve representation and a seat at the table. As a woman of colour who is part of the LGBTIQA+ community, I have experienced my fair share of discrimination - but I'll never stop talking about my unique experiences and I'll always be proud of the different aspects of my identity.