cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Re: Live GR: Identity and Self-Acceptance, 9th of September, 7:30 pm AEST

Thankyou so much for tagging me @Lost_Space_Explorer5 ! My friend ever live one I might actually be online for, can't wait! 😊

Um, I'm confused, how do I join the live thing?

Welcome welcome everyone! Tonight we'll be discussing identity and self-acceptance Smiley Very Happy I'm really looking forward to chatting to you all!

self.gif

Figuring out who we are can be a long, seemingly endless process. Tonight we'll be looking at what identity is and how we can accept ourselves.

(If you find anything in this conversation distressing please call Lifeline on 13 11 13 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. ReachOut has a list of links to helplines here)

Yeah same. Is there a link we missed? 

Hi @Remi! All you have to do is keep up with this thread and answer the questions we'll be posting Smiley Happy We'll be starting shortly.

Hi @wanderingwasp! If you want to ask some of the questions, there's a link in the Chats About Chats section for this GR. It's okay if you don't want to though Smiley Happy

Yup, we basically just post questions spaced throughout the night and everyone is free to jump in and answer @Remi @wanderingwasp

Here's our first question:

What is identity? Where does our sense of self come from?

giphy

What is identity? Where does our sense of self come from?
I think that identity is hard to define because someone can have a lot of different identities and still be the same person. For example, someone could behave differently when they're at school compared to when they're with their family. Identity is about being who you are. It can be both about how a person sees themselves and how other people sees them. Our sense of self can come from things such as our values, our hobbies and interests, our personality, our temperament, our beliefs, our self-esteem and sense of purpose in life. I think it can also be shaped by things such as culture and social norms.

I think identity is made up of a lot of things. It's how we see ourselves, how we feel about ourselves, how we feel like we 'fit' in society, what we do, what our values are. There are so many aspects to the concept of the self it's difficult to find a definition. Where does it come from? I'd say it's from our experiences and memories, how others treat us, what society tells us, what we think is important, our emotions when interacting with others as well as when we're alone. It's such a broad thing!