cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Live GR: Identity and Self-Acceptance, 9th of September, 7:30 pm AEST

This is an interesting question. I think what Remi was saying about not having the words is so important. How do we find the words? I guess by talking to lots of different people and finding out all we can about the world and who we are. Trying new things, asking yourself questions you've always been afraid of asking, expressing ourselves as we truly are, finding people who understand us and who we can openly talk to

@WheresMySquishy wrote:

I feel like identity is about trying on a lot of different masks before you find one that you're comfortable to wear.

Such a good and powerful way of putting it! I really like that analogy Smiley Happy

Having a creative hobby can really help with expressing yourself and finding out what you like @Hozzles! Smiley Happy I don't believe that people have to necessarily be good at doing a certain kind of thing. Something basic like scrapbooking, journalling or sand play/therapy can be helpful for a lot of people.

Hey @Remi I'm so glad you found a safe space to explore your identity in! Being able to express ourselves is so important, and nobody should ever feel invalidated for their sense of self.

@WheresMySquishy Haha I know right, I just googled harry potter identity gif, google defs has our backs!

It seems like the general consensus is to try new things and find your people who let you be you, as well as finding out things about yourself by asking questions, both from family and friends but also from yourself?

@WheresMySquishy yes, that's a very nice way of putting it Smiley Happy

I can definitely relate to connecting with my identity through being involved in groups of people with similar identities

Such good discussions, everyone! Smiley Very Happy Time for the next question!

How would you describe yourself? What elements of your identity are important to you?
giphy

That's a hard question. I don't really know who I am hahaha. I guess my values are pretty important- I care about people and try to be honest. But sometimes I feel like I don't care about anything/anyone and that sort of clashes with who I want to be and feels bad. Emotions are such a big part of how I see myself so it'll depend on how I'm feeling. If I'm feeling shame for example I feel like I don't belong. If I feel cared for I will feel worthy of belonging? It's such a weird thing. Can anyone relate?

How would you describe yourself? What elements of your identity are important to you?

Well, gender/sexuality wise: transfeminine, nonbinary, asexual, demiromantic, lesbian...those aspects are particularly important to me because they were repressed/denied to me for most of my life and the journey of transitioning and exploring those aspects of myself has led to a huge amount of personal growth.

Otherwise...I suppose I'm something of an amateur artist and writer; I have ADHD; I'm generally reasonably easygoing and chill; I've faced a lot of personal challenges and come out on top so I guess I'm strong and resilient?

Hope you guys don't mind if I join in on here! I'm late to the party as usual so haven't seen the other questions or responses properly yet.. 

I guess I ALWAYS find this extremely difficult. I hate talking about myself and never know how to describe who I am cause I'm not so sure I know the answers to that myself.. but one thing that always seems to stand out is that I'm a family person. I will always put my family first no matter what and that's something that's very important to me..