cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Live GR: Identity and Self-Acceptance, 9th of September, 7:30 pm AEST

How would you describe yourself? What elements of your identity are important to you?
I'm not that good at describing myself, but something that has helped me in the past was finding what my strengths are. I've taken an online quiz (I think it's called the VIA Survey of Character Strengths but it's on a few different websites and in different formats) a few times. The last time I took it, I was told my strengths are appreciation of beauty and excellence, kindness and generosity, bravery and valor, love of learning, and honesty, authenticity and genuineness. I've written down ways I can use my strengths in my notes.
Family is also really important to me. Some parts of my identity are rooted in family ties. I'm a young carer, but I'm also an advocate for my family members. I often don't like having to be a carer but it's an important part of my identity.

We can be lost together and not know who we are together @Lost_Space_Explorer5 ! 😂

oh hey @MB95, don't worry about jumping in late, you're welcome to join any time! Smiley Happy Happy to have you here!

You see this is why my name is Lost_Space_Explorer5 Smiley Tongue @MB95

How would you describe yourself? What elements of your identity are important to you?
Oh... I'm imagining how I'd describe myself to a stranger.

The 'obvious' seems to be that I'm a psychology + literature student, because everyone asks you what you do/ where you work/ what school you go to. No matter where you go! Also, that I am a woman. Next would be where I live, though I don't really like to identify myself by where I live, since I love travelling more than being at home.

Other things that might or might not come up through observation/ depends on the topic include:
-That I am very passionate about promoting mental health!
-That I am a creative thinker.
-That I'm a member of the LGBT+ community.
-I know some people don't like to base their identities off their mental health/ illnesses, but I consider it to be a part of my identity due to how it might affect my behaviours.

This is such a good question, because I would also identify myself as a writer. But the thing is, I don't actually write very much! However, the stories and characters in my head are very important to me, so I still think calling myself a writer is valid... it's a complicated one!

Well I'd describe myself as a Muslim girl! My identification as a Muslim is probably one of the most important aspects of my identity, I think it might be because Muslims are a minority in Australia so I feel like it's a unique aspect of my identity.

@RemiI'm so glad that you're able to be who you are. I think it's amazing that you've recognised how much you've grown throughout the whole experience. You do sound like a resilient person. Heart

@Lost_Space_Explorer5  @MB95  I think it's perfectly okay to not know who you are yet. I'm still figuring out my own identity and place in the world. Smiley Happy I don't think we ever stop discovering ourselves.

when in doubt, do a buzzfeed "which type of pasta am I?" quiz and you'll have your answer Smiley Tongue

@Hozzles  I also feel that my mental health is part of who I am. It has shaped so many aspects of myself and my life. Smiley Happy

Hahaha I love Buzzfeed quizzes @Lost_Space_Explorer5! Smiley LOL

@Lost_Space_Explorer5 wrote:
when in doubt, do a buzzfeed "which type of pasta am I?" quiz and you'll have your answer Smiley Tongue

Hahahahah! So true! Smiley LOL

@WheresMySquishy - yeah, I agree that we never stop discovering ourselves! We are not exactly who we were as babies, after all. Smiley Tongue