cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Live GR: Identity and Self-Acceptance, 9th of September, 7:30 pm AEST

Last Q Smiley Surprised that went so quickly!

What tips would you give to someone struggling with self-acceptance?

Highlighted

@celestialdreamer  I'll have to look into that book. It sounds awesome! Smiley Happy

@Hozzles  I was thinking of doing something similar. I bought a book with really thick pages to use for scrapbooking and uplifting pictures, but I haven't done anything other than plan what kinds of pictures I'm going to include in it, colour schemes, etc. Smiley LOL

Highlighted

Be kind to yourself, and try to focus on the things you can change, rather than can't change. I'll always recommend to surround yourself with people with similar identities with you, because accepting yourself can sometimes start by accepting others like you first. 

I'm not feeling the best, so I think I'll head off now. So great seeing such an active and wholesome discussion! I'll be sure to read through everyone's replies I missed later, and to see anyone else's replies who might not be on tonight! A big thank you to you all! Heart

Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy it's called daily mantras to ignite your purpose by Lisa Messenger

Highlighted

I would say validate what they're experiencing and be there for them. Let them know you accept them and they matter. I just realised this is looking for tips lol hm that's trickier!

ahh maybe surround yourself with people that understand and accept you and care about you. If you can't find them where you're at, there are other places they can look, like online 😉 hint hint reachout. Tell them everyone struggles with self-acceptance and it's perfectly normal to be struggling. Oh man coming up with tips is hard, keen to hear what other people say
Highlighted

@Hozzles they are great tips! I hope you feel better soon!

Highlighted

Some of my tips would be:
- Surround yourself with positive people, and don't be afraid to spend less time with people who are negatively affecting your mental health and wellbeing.
- Listen to uplifting, motivational songs.
- Don't focus on one part of yourself, such as your job. If it's not there any more, it can make you feel bad about yourself. Instead, focus on many different aspects of your identity, such as your relationships, hobbies, values, achievements, challenges you've overcome, personality, etc.
- Don't be afraid to experiment with different groups and interests until you find something that you like.

Highlighted

Goodnight @Hozzles! Thanks for helping out tonight! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Those are some really good tips @Hozzles and @WheresMySquishy, I think my brain has collapsed from all the questions HAHA and I can't think of answers that actually address the question
Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy I'm sorry you had to go through that! I think for self-acceptance to be promoted, society as a whole needs to advocate for a variety of looks rather than fixating on one 'ideal' image, which is so prevalent on social media and media outlets.