cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Highlighted

Re: Live GR: Identity and Self-Acceptance, 9th of September, 7:30 pm AEST

The tips I would give someone struggling with self-acceptance:

- Remember that it's okay if you aren't self-accepting all of the time, I like to think that if there's something that's bothering you it's an indication that maybe it's something that requires change or improvement and that's okay and may help you on your journey to self-acceptance, journey being the really key word there!

- Pursue things that make you feel genuinely happy and interact with others that make you leave with a smile on your face – you don't need negative energies in your life.

- Challenge your negative thinking to help you reframe it positively

Highlighted

This has been such an amazing GR. The response was so incredible and it was so insightful to hear about a diverse range of experiences and identities. I've loved reading everyone's answers. Smiley Happy
A huge thank you to everyone who participated and helped with this GR, including those behind the scenes @featuringme  @Lost_Space_Explorer5 @celestialdreamer  @Hozzles  @MB95 @hellofriend @wanderingwasp @Remi 
Sorry if I've missed anyone.
giphy

Here is the question list if anyone wants to participate after we wrap up:

- What is identity? Where does our sense of self come from?
- How can someone explore or connect more deeply with their identity?
- How would you describe yourself? What elements of your identity are important to you?
- What does self-acceptance look like to you? Have you ever accepted or embraced a part of yourself that you previously disliked or weren't comfortable with? Did you learn anything from this?
- What kinds of things can make us feel good about ourselves? What can make us feel bad about ourselves? How can we feel better after experiencing situations that bring us down?
- What tips would you give to someone struggling with self-acceptance?

Goodnight everyone! Smiley Happy Heart
Highlighted

If you're struggling w self-acceptance, here are a few things you could do:

• Reach out for help - talk to a trusted friend, family member, doctor or counsellor/therapist
  • Self-care! Take a nice long bath, eat some treats, go outside under the sun; these are just a few things you can do to help your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing
  • Keep a journal of your strengths - write down hardships you've overcome, goals you've accomplished and attributes about yourself that you like
  • Surround yourself with people who will support you for who you are, and will help you out

It's been lovely participating in my first GR tonight, I had so much fun listening to everyone's discussions! Hopefully people will find these tips helpful, and hope you all have a great night Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

I love those tips @celestialdreamer  @featuringme! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I've absolutely loved being part of this GR as my first one! It's been so insightful and I've learnt so much about other's experiences and perspectives and got so many useful tips for myself too! This chat was exactly what I needed tonight Smiley Very Happy hope everyone has a lovely evening

Highlighted

Thanks everyone! This was a really interesting chat, and everyone's answers were so unique- so insightful! Identity and self-acceptance was such a good topic, there were so many different perspectives! I hope you all have a good night and enjoyed the chat Smiley Happy
Highlighted

I hope you all have a good night @celestialdreamer  @featuringme  @Lost_Space_Explorer5! I've learned so much from everyone's experiences and tips. Thanks so much for all your contributions!

Highlighted

Ah goodness i was looking so forward to this but got caught up in uni work!! Smiley Sad 

Highlighted

Oh no @sunnygirl606! You can still answer the questions if you want and read through the chat! There is always next time Smiley Happy
Highlighted

So great to read through this chat, so many cool insights πŸ™‚

What is identity? Where does our sense of self come from?

I see identity as what distinguishes you from other people. I think our sense of self is really complex and comes from lots of places. It can come from messages we've received about ourself particularly when we're young. It can come from our family or cultural history. It can come from what we enjoy or love or choose to spend our time doing. It can come from the people we are surrounded by. It can come from societal conditioning.

- How can someone explore or connect more deeply with their identity?

Doing things they enjoy; spending time with and talking to people with similar traits/backgrounds/interests; quizzes or personality tests; researching their history or the history of groups they are part of; time spent reflecting or journalling; expressing themself through creative processes; revisiting places of significance to them.

- How would you describe yourself? What elements of your identity are important to you?

I like to think of all the little random things about myself being threads of the tapestry of my identity, and it being the combination that's most valuable (as opposed to there being a short list of the most important things that day who I am). I guess there's my name, that's part of my identity. And age. And the family I come from. And my various connections of who I choose to have on my life. (Depending on context I feel like this is often how people are first identified- oh your A's sibling, or oh you're married to B, or oh so you're C's childhood best friend). That I'm AFAB but really not into the whole gender thing for me but unsure on who/how to share this and how much it matters. That I'm autistic which strongly influences how I see and interact with the world. That I'm an INFP as a Myers Briggs type, or a nurturer on the leadership wheel, or an SC on the DISC personality type. That I love dessert and chocolate and the beach and Taylor Swift and the colour orange and spider man and big fluffy puppers and so many other things. That I am pursuing a career in the outdoor adventure sector. That I studied education for a while but decided it wasn't for me. That I always like to be playing a team sport. That I pay centre in netball. That I'm startled very easily. And I could go on but basically it's a lot of little things

- What does self-acceptance look like to you? Have you ever accepted or embraced a part of yourself that you previously disliked or weren't comfortable with? Did you learn anything from this?

For me self acceptance is letting myself live my life without constantly resenting or criticising myself. Like a few others in this thread I denied being quiet/shy to myself, then acknowledged it and desperately tried to change it, then hated myself for not being able to, then eventually realised that in a lot of contexts it's true and actually that's fine.

- What kinds of things can make us feel good about ourselves? What can make us feel bad about ourselves? How can we feel better after experiencing situations that bring us down?

I think I feel good about myself when I let myself enjoy things or grow in skills just because I want to. I also feel good when I connect or have fun with others. Or when someone gives me really personalised and unprompted positive feedback. I feel bad about myself when I'm criticised. And when I feel unable to do something I want to do. I think we can help ourselves feel better after those sorts of situations by doing things we like or little things to comfort ourselves, talking to ourselves with the compassion we'd show a friend, or spending time with our talking it through with people who love us.

- What tips would you give to someone struggling with self-acceptance?

Advice I'd give myself from the past when I struggled with this a lot: the stakes are much lower than you think. You're allowed to just exist as you are, you don't have to constantly be testing your worth or trying to build it or doubting it's existence.