cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Live GR: Labels, labels, labels (Friday 19th of March, 7:30pm AEST)

Can the meaning of a label change over time? What about on a community level?

I think so. People can own their stories and their labels. Something that can be seen through a negative or derogatory lens can be something to be proud of for some. People can try to lessen the stigma associated with a particular label through raising awareness of it, or showing that they are more than that label. A 'bad' label can also have less power over a person as their self-esteem grows.

1349923252060_5744655

Culture and history change every day. So do the meaning of labels. It can be almost impossible for the meaning of a word to change overnight, but language does change over time. We are always coming up with new ways to describe things.

Can the meaning of a label change over time? What about on a community level?

Yep, people have started to reclaim words that used to be seen as bad to be a celebration of their identity!

@WheresMySquishy 
Personally I’ve always had a lot of people around me joke about being unstable or emotional so it’s taken a while to think my mental health as needing more emotional support sometimes.

@WheresMySquishy LOL. That's golden

That's so sad @Rattata. Smiley Sad I'm really sorry that people make those jokes about you.
I did a course recently where we had to come up with different ways of describing commonly used labels given to people with a mental health issue, and it was really surprising how many everyone came up with.

That sounds like a really good exercise for people to do to challenge their ideas of how they should describe things. I should definitely work on trying to think of some more because I still can't really think of any.

Tonight's wall of fame (my favourite quotes!)

@hunginc wrote:

Labels are appropriate for food packaging, not people.

@Taylor-RO wrote:
I have had labels forced onto me. I think almost everyone would have at one point or another.

@Rattata wrote:

people just see one aspect of you and pile on so many other labels that they associate with that label. Like shy turns into socially awkward and introverted which turns into weird and not friendly.
Female turns into feminine.

Male turns into masculine.

Mental illness turns into emotional and unstable.

Everything just turns into other associated judgements 

@WheresMySquishy wrote:

People can own their stories and their labels

(...) Culture and history change every day. So do the meaning of labels. It can be almost impossible for the meaning of a word to change overnight, but language does change over time. We are always coming up with new ways to describe things.

Quotation Mark GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

We've had such a great chat tonight!
Everyone's comments have been so insightful. You guys have even brought up some things that made me see labels in a different light. Smiley Happy
Thank you @Lost_Space_Explorer5 @Taylor-RO @Rattata @hunginc!

As always, everyone is welcome to reply to the questions later. Here's a list:
1. What are labels, and who creates them? Which factors or criteria can influence labels?
2. What are some advantages or disadvantages of using labels for yourself and other people?
3. Can labels affect our thoughts, attitudes and actions towards ourselves as well as others?
4. How can we tell if a label is right for us? What are some signs that we belong in a particular community? What happens if you get rejected by that community?
5. Have you ever had a label forced onto you? How did it feel, did it change things for you in any way?
6. Can the meaning of a label change over time? What about on a community level?

Goodnight everyone!

giphy

Amazing chat tonight everyone! I learnt so much, as always! Smiley Very Happy Goodnight and take care! Heart

I wasn't aware of these before today but I'm so glad I could be a part of it. This was really cool and I really enjoyed hearing from you all! Heart