cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Live GR: Labels, labels, labels (Friday 19th of March, 7:30pm AEST)

It was awesome to have you be apart of it @Rattata Smiley Happy Heart

Awwww, I'm sorry that I didn't make it @Lost_Space_Explorer5. I couldn't sneak online, although I'm kinda glad I didn't make it because I don't understand any of this.😅

Well, everyone seemed really happy and enjoyed it. That's what makes me sad, seeing others being really happy.😔 I don't know why but it just does.

Hi @AngelJoy 

Sometimes we feel upset seeing others happy because we're unhappy ourselves. Please feel free to create your own thread on this. Heart

This was such an insightful and wonderful discussion! I'm sorry I couldn't make it last night, but I'm gonna answer the questions now and present my perspective on this issue:

1. What are labels, and who creates them? Which factors or criteria can influence labels?

I think labels are ways to describe particular groups of people, and can either be positive or negative. Cultural and social norms have a big impact on attitudes towards particular labels, 

2. What are some advantages or disadvantages of using labels for yourself and other people?

Labels group people based on similar characteristics, so it's a quick way to identify and understand someone. However, labels contribute to generalisation. People often assume that identifying with a certain label means that you must act in a certain manner, which isn't necessarily the case. People are diverse, and I feel like labels undermine the unique attributes of a person. If a label has negative connotations, then labels can contribute to false and harmful perceptions of other people.

3. Can labels affect our thoughts, attitudes and actions towards ourselves as well as others?

Absolutely! Labels carry connotations, which affects societal attitudes and perceptions of people with those labels. We can internalise these attitudes and perceptions, which affects our actions towards ourselves as well as others. Peer pressure, social acceptance, and other factors can contribute to our internalisation of labels, even if we become aware of the true meaning of the label.

4. How can we tell if a label is right for us? What are some signs that we belong in a particular community? What happens if you get rejected by that community? 

If we feel positive emotions such as happiness, then I think that a label could be right for us. Likewise, if we're experiencing positive feelings when thinking or interacting with a community, then we might belong with them.

5. Have you ever had a label forced onto you? How did it feel, did it change things for you in any way?

I personally can't think of any instances of labels being forced onto me. However, I think this would be a good time to explain the concept of stereotype threat. This is essentially when we feel as though our actions will confirm stereotypes about a particular group, which contributes to stress and anxiety. Numerous studies have shown that stereotype threat contributes to worsened academic performance, lower self-esteem, and other areas of life. As a Muslim, I feel obligated to avoid misconceptions of Islam as "violent, extreme, oppressive, etc.". Although I haven't had labels forced on me, I feel like I need to act a certain way, otherwise I'll confirm that Islam is "violent, extreme, etc."

6. Can the meaning of a label change over time? What about on a community level? 

Labels can definitely change over time. Labels and slurs have been reclaimed by communities who were originally victims of them. That being said, I think marginalised communities should have responsibility over the meaning of labels with harmful connotations. They're the ones who've gone through the experiences associated with negative labels and slurs, so they should be able to dictate whether they want these labels to continue on. I personally don't believe that  communities who haven't been targeted should decide the meaning of labels on behalf of these marginalised communities.