cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Live GR: What is happiness? 2nd of December, 7:30pm AEST

@Sunnybear I love that way of explaining it: 'I don't think we can "control" our feelings of happiness where we can just switch it on and off at ease but we definitely have control over our perception of particular situations which could bring us happiness'. I agree! 'happiness' is an emotion, a product of how our brain decides to react to things! 

Goodnight @sunnygirl606Smiley Very Happy 

I'm glad we have a question that's more focused on coping with these things haha- ending on a positive note! Smiley Happy

I guess just remembering what we can and can't control, having boundaries and looking after ourselves like what @WheresMySquishy was saying!

Recognising that it's okay to not feel happy and it's also okay not to even want to be happy. Sometimes we need to feel sad, or scared, or angry so we can process things. All emotions are there for a reason and try to tell you something. All emotions are valid Smiley Happy Again the message of 'Inside Out'- it's important to be able to feel sad, and through that we can move on to new things Smiley Happy

What are some ways we can cope with stress that arises from trying to manage our own and others experience of happiness?
I feel like taking the time to slow down sometimes can be important. I often feel stressed when I'm struggling to manage my happiness and other people's experience of happiness. Helping others can be fulfilling, but you've got to take the time to rest and focus on self-care too. I can also feel stressed when I'm focusing too much on the future and not enough on the present. So taking the time to enjoy the little moments that bring me joy has really helped me. There are also times where I've had to step back and think of a situation more objectively. I think it's important to remember that happiness is a spectrum and doesn't have to be perfect or constant all the time.

Inside Out Riley Family GIF - InsideOut RileyFamily Hug GIFs

And expressing the emotions you're actually feeling lets others know you need them Smiley Happy

Already!!! Smiley Surprised

What are some ways we can cope with stress that arises from trying to manage our own and others experience of happiness?

I think the first step is understanding and knowing when to draw the line, learning how to separate our own emotions from what others are feeling. Stress in my opinion usually arises when that boundary becomes blurry and everything just gets jumbled up. Also recognising that it's okay to not be okay 100% of the time and just do whatever makes you happy. For me when I'm super stressed I like to take a bath because it relaxes me!

I think an important thing to remember is that we can only help others so much. Of course we can and should provide support to others, but if we feel burdened from the help we are giving others, we can set some boundaries and have a break. When managing our own happiness, it can be stressful. If we need some help, we can always reach out to others, and seek some professional support. We can allow ourselves to feel unhappiness and anger if we need to. In the long-term, it is better to let these emotions out when we feel too stressed from managing our happiness, rather than bottling them up. 

I love that movie and the message @Lost_Space_Explorer5. Smiley Happy Carrying on like usual and not telling others how we really feel can end up making us feel even worse.

Mm that's so true @Sunnybear Smiley Happy It's so powerful what you were saying about boundaries becoming blurry and things jumbling up. I agree, baths can be a good way of calming down

Yep @featuringme I totally agree! It's so much better not to bottle those emotions up. Things can get so confusing otherwise

Yeah, it goes so quick doesn't it @Sunnybear!

Brain isn't working right now (so exhausted) so maybe I'll revisit this question later, but completely agree with a lot of what has been said! Just reminding ourselves that happiness isn't and shouldn't be the default, that all emotions are important and deserve to be felt as well, and it's often true that happiness comes when you least expecting it. Chasing happiness can make you anxious, which pushes away happiness! 

This has been such a thought-provoking chat. We all have such unique perspectives about happiness Smiley Happy And so many people have jumped in tonight! I love it!

IWant You To Be So Happy 13Going On30 GIF - IWantYouToBeSoHappy 13GoingOn30 MarkRuffalo GIFs