cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Live GR: What is happiness? 2nd of December, 7:30pm AEST

It's been a great chat tonight everyone! Reading everyone's experiences has been so insightful (and made me feel very happy Smiley LOL). It was also amazing to see so many people jump online and participate! Thank you so much @Lost_Space_Explorer5 @Hozzles @Saltwaterdreamtime @Sunnybear @featuringme @sunnygirl606! Smiley Happy
Goodnight all!

giphy
Anyone who hasn't participated is still welcome to answer the questions and share their experiences in this thread. Smiley Happy
Here are the questions:
1. What is happiness? What does it look and feel like for you?
What are some things which can cultivate happiness for you? How do these things compare to strategies which you might have come across before (e.g. being grateful, being mindful, etc.)? Have things which you thought would make you happy met your expectations?
Does society have certain expectations when it comes to experiencing happiness? If so, how might these have impacted on you and those around you?

4. How important is happiness to you? Have your views about happiness changed throughout your life? How have these attitudes affect your daily life?

5. Can we control our feelings of happiness? Can we make other people happy? Are there times when we ever want to make ourselves or others unhappy?
What are some ways we can cope with stress that arises from trying to manage our own and others experience of happiness?

Thanks everyone! Hope you all have a goodnight and do something nice for yourselves Smiley Happy

Goodnight all! Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts! Smiley Very HappyHeart

I always miss these. Thank you though @Lost_Space_Explorer5 

1. What is happiness? What does it look and feel like for you?

Happiness is a very individual thing. For me, it's a feeling and outlook of joy and It looks like, floating in the ocean, having a bath, spending time with my loved ones, looking forward to the future, going on a holiday/adventure, attending live music, receiving an online shopping order, having a nap with my puppy Heart 

What are some things which can cultivate happiness for you? How do these things compare to strategies which you might have come across before (e.g. being grateful, being mindful, etc.)? Have things which you thought would make you happy met your expectations?

Spending time in nature, disconnected from technology really helps me be happy. Eating well and making good choices about my health makes me happy as well - this includes taking my medication and going to therapy. These are all really practical things but practicing gratitude is something I notice makes me happy too !!

Does society have certain expectations when it comes to experiencing happiness? If so, how might these have impacted on you and those around you?

I think there is a strong focus on happiness, which can often be put in place of contentment - which I think it's an equally important feeling to have. It might not always be viable to be "happy" but we can work on feeling content and that is a realistic expectation to have of ourselves when we feel pressured to be happy, when in fact we aren't feeling that way. 

4. How important is happiness to you? Have your views about happiness changed throughout your life? How have these attitudes affect your daily life?

To be happy is important to me, but as I mentioned in the last question I am also equally focused on just being content. 

5. Can we control our feelings of happiness? Can we make other people happy? Are there times when we ever want to make ourselves or others unhappy?

Hm, this is a big question! I think to a degree we have control over ours and other peoples  happiness - but there are also many external factors that influence our happiness as well. I believe it's a balance of both external and internal factors. Making other people happy is something we can do, but it's also important to not feel solely responsible for someone else happiness. 

What are some ways we can cope with stress that arises from trying to manage our own and others experience of happiness?

Taking the pressure of oneself to ensure that you are always happy is important - it's okay to feel overwhelmed, sad and distressed. It's a normal part of the human experience and actually without those other emotions it would be very hard to recognise when we are happy/what that means to us.