cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Live Getting Real: What does success look like to you? 23rd of March, 7:30 pm

Yessss I always love these! Here we gooooo

How do you personally define success? Can you think of different kinds/ different levels? (e.g. big successes vs small successes)

I think the definition of success is actually really intimate and personal for everybody, and highly contextual. For example, in tough times or during a seasonal depression, getting out of bed might be a success-big or small relative to other things. In times of relative ease, getting out of bed is subsumed completely by bigger things like getting homework done. Success is framed by context and perspective; that's what keeps it authentic, you see?

Has there been a time where your version of success was different from someone else's? Do you think this is good/bad/both/neither?

Absolutely. See above. But different versions of success are all special and valid and productive. It's important to see this as an unequivocally good thing as it helps us celebrate our uniqueness, especially in the face of social pressures, cultural pressures, social media and the like which sell us a cookie cutter of what 'true' success apparently should look like.

As a society, do you think we tend to place a lot of emphasis on certain types of accomplishments?

What impact do you think that this has on our mental health?  

The impact can be something we have to deal with slowly, and with thought and compassion. Seeking validation for your accomplishments is something you shouldn't have to do alone. Especially since a lot of the emphasis society places on certain accomplishments is done subconsciously as well as consciously.  

It can be frustrating and disheartening being made to feel like you're not meeting other people's versions of success, how do you cope with that?

I'll let you know when I cope with it productively, as I do struggle with this a little-comparison, self-doubt, self-validation and all that jazz. There is so much pressure on young adults, young women and femmes, and students after all! It's hard work and exhausting. 

Has there been a time where you felt unworthy of a success? How did you cope with this feeling?

All the time- I have to remind myself that I earnt x or y fair and square. I stick to the facts and try and be objective. I don't let subjective negativity in. 

How do you reward yourself after having met a goal?

I'm not one to receive praise, I'm too damn awkward hahaa. But I treat myself, I take a break, I self care, and just chill.

Can you find a GIF/picture/meme of what success looks like for you?

This one, coz the journey of working hard towards a goal and being united with people in achieving the goal is half the fun!

Did I really just do A Beychella themed GR response? Yes, I did! She is such a beacon of what hard work and well-earnt success looks like after all.

Re: Live Getting Real: What does success look like to you? 23rd of March, 7:30 pm

Sorry for the serial tagging, but here are my responses in one spot:

How do you personally define success? Can you think of different kinds/ different levels? (e.g. big successes vs small successes)

@Hozzles Wow you read my mind here. Validity is such a crucial concept, huh?

@ecla34 yeah, like improvement and growth can also be a success. Not just the extra 'exciting' stuff!

@WheresMySquishy collaboration and teamwork is key for sure- so can taking advantage of what you have around you, for sure!

Has there been a time where your version of success was different from someone else's? Do you think this is good/bad/both/neither?

@ecla34 yeah it's really sad that people drag others down instead of being a source of support or encouragement. It can be annoying, it can also be heartbreaking depending on the goal.

@Hozzles yes I love that- your opinion comes first!

@WheresMySquishy so relatable! We just gotta keep doing our own thing and listen to those we trust! Except when it comes to uni stuff, by god, then yeah, a clear message would be nice hey?!

As a society, do you think we tend to place a lot of emphasis on certain types of accomplishments? What impact do you think that this has on our mental health? 

@ecla34  yes, I hate that double edged sword, like everyone's choices are equally valid and exciting and ughhh

@WheresMySquishy  it's really tricky- and it's so rarely discussed. We need better education on this!

@Hozzles man, we could start a whole thread on what success looks like according to different systems and institutions, you raise so many good points here!

It can be frustrating and disheartening being made to feel like you're not meeting other people's versions of success, how do you cope with that?

@ecla34 having a like-minded tribe is key, you said it!

@WheresMySquishy the carer life is a many handed one. We are here for you!

@Hozzles mental health care is THE success of the day, so go you!

Has there been a time where you felt unworthy of a success? How did you cope with this feeling?

@Hozzles yes we should celebreate more! We should encourage each other more

@WheresMySquishy opportunities that arise from chance or circumstance are still great, I relate to you here Smiley Happy

How do you reward yourself after having met a goal?

@Hozzles OMG, 'REWARD CAKE' love it!!!

@WheresMySquishy ugh I miss walking around shopping centres right now, one of my fav forms of self care :/

@ecla34 Yep, like proper vegging out and not moving for 2 hours heheee

Can you find a GIF/picture/meme of what success looks like for you?

Love all the gifs, we are truly so creative Smiley Happy