cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Marriage is what brings us together, today

@EloiseRose wrote:

What do you guys think the advantages and disadvantages of being married are??

We hear about some of the advantages from same sex couples who are not afforded the advantages of marriage - like having rights when someone is sick or injured or having a say over where someone goes in aged care - or being separated in aged care; employers offer spouses sick leave, bereavement leave; access to health insurance and pension; the law provides certain automatic rights to a person's spouse regardless of whether or not a will exists etc.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

@watsupman it totally makes sense.. couldnt have put it better myself 

Good points watsupman...

@SJG - you have someone to hang out with in long term relationships whether yr married or not!! Smiley Tongue

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@watsupman 

I hear what you are saying!  

I like the idea that if the marriage wasnt there they would still be together... that applies to a few people i know.

However maybe being married promotes that type of realtionship?? Who knows 

So can you be too young, or to old to get married? Can you get married too soon in a relationship?

What do you guys think the advantages and disadvantages of being married are??

I think Sophie covered the advantages quite well Smiley Happy. I have also heard from people that they feel like they were taken more seriously as a couple once they were married - so perhaps that is an advantage also? For me personally another advantage would be feeling a sense of security in the relationship (e.g. that we both want the same things and are in it for the long haul).

Disadvantages... Hmm I dunno, I've never thought about that before. It's definitely more complicated to end a marriage, so that coudl be one thing that's a disadvantage. And having to spend money on a wedding? That could be a short term financial disadvantage?

Theres definately a more right time and a more wrong time if that makes sense.

To patch up a relationship is not a good reason... 

@EloiseRose I agree, mariage is a way that people in a long term commited relationship can display to the world their connection.

hey @delicatedreamer 

I love that idea of having a sense of security ! 

I reckon financial reasons would be a big deal in some peoples relationships !

@watsupman 

thats a pretty cool description... displaying to the world a connection