cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Marriage is what brings us together, today

So can you be too young, or to old to get married? Can you get married too soon in a relationship?

I have my own ideas on what the ideal age is to get married and how long I would like to have been with or known the person, but I think it really comes down to the individual. My friend got married to someone he had only known for 8 months (and moved countries to do this) aged 20, and they have been happily married for 10 years, meanwhile my cousin just got engaged to his partner and he has been her with for 12 years (and he is 31 years old)! It just comes down to what suits the person and the situation I guess. Careful consideration is needed before marrying in any situation, no matter what the age or time frame.

Thanks @delicatedreamer they're some really great insights!

I dont think you are ever to young or too old by age - its all about your connection and your psychological age, not physical age. Well actually there is too young... 16?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

So can you be too young, or to old to get married? Can you get married too soon in a relationship?

That is difficult, i believe that it can be too soon, as i was saying before if marriage is used to patch up or revitalise a relationship then it isn't a good thing and unless you have spent enough time with the other person to love them for who they are and you are commited to working out difficulties then it might be too soon. Too young, only in terms of being an adult and knowing your partner.

@delicatedreamer 

Thats such a good point my cousin was with her boyfriend for 11 years before they got engaged let alone married!! I have been with my bf for 7 years and golly we are NO WHERE near marriage stage or even engagement. 

Careful consideration is such a good point. i guess weighing up the pros and cons and all the other detailed and not so detailed side of things like living, and work and all that to who is going to cook tonight 

@watsupman Good point, using a marraige to try and make a relationship work is never a good idea. And youre never too old! I think finding someone you want to be with at any age is beautiful. But too young or too soon, i think yes that can happen. Getting married too soon/young to make a point to someone is not a good idea

Wedding or marriage, too young or too old. All that aside what about the next fact... 

Knowing the divorce rate is almost above 50% what do you think is the reason for this?

Highlighted

I think sometimes people go into marraige knowing that divorce is an option so easy to us these days, perhaps that plays a part, the fact that its so common and not always seen as a negative thing. 

@SJG 

Good point... do you think people would get married less if they knew divorce wasnt option?

I think that partly, it's because we recognise now more and more that a good relationship doesn't necessarily have to last "forever". Very good and worthwhile relationships can have a life span of 2, 5, 10 years and thats OK! We now accept more and more that marriage isn't for everyone and that life long relationships aren't for everyone.... and that's OK!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com