cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Marriage is what brings us together, today

@Sophie-RO  

Yes thats so true. i mean the stats of those who "could get married but havent" havent been done it would be interesting to see how much that as chagned over the years. 

I like the idea that not everyone wants to get married so therefore they dont - i could imagine they would be a lot of pressue amoungst some friendship groups to get married esp if your other friends are

Knowing the divorce rate is almost above 50% what do you think is the reason for this?

Wow good question. I don't really know... Maybe because divorce is more socially acceptable and easier to do now than it was in previous decades (like I think there was a law change in the 70's so that people could cite 'irreconcilable differences', I think it was more diffccult before that). Maybe some people rush into marriage and don't take it seriously? I don't really know.

Knowing the divorce rate is almost above 50% what do you think is the reason for this?

I know someone who has been married 3 times, they said the reason their current one was different was that they didn't expect anything to change after being married.  I believe people rush into it, personaly i wouldn't consider marriage until i had been living with the person for a while, really knowing what it will be like to spend most of your time with this person. Not looking for marriage to change anything, just to highlight what is already there, love and commitment to being with that person.

Highlighted

@EloiseRose Oh 100% i think the marraige rate would drop dramatically!! I think its a backup plan for alot of people, and sometimes they need it! Alot can change in a relationship and sometimes having the option of divorce is a saving grace

@watsupman 

Yeh they say dont get married and expect someone to change!!!

I reckon if you think like that going into a marriage youll do well. Your not lowering your expectations and submitting that nothing will ever change your just realistic that it might not...

Considering how common domestic violence is these days, I'm glad divorce is more common and it's easier to get out!! I hope that the soaring divorce rates also mean that women experiencing violence are getting out of those relationships too!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Sophie-RO 

Good point. 

Giving both women and men an option to get out of an unhealthy relationship is really important.

Because lets face it sometimes people change!

Some really good points there.

What are your thoughts on marriage equality amongst the LGBT community?

What are your thoughts on marriage equality amongst the LGBT community?

My opinion is that laws need to be changed to make marriage available to LGBT community.

@SJG 

Well im all for it! But i understand the reservations from strong religious stand points.