cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Marriage is what brings us together, today

I think religion in marriage is a totally personal thing, and it shouldnt effect who can and cant get married. For alot of religious people its one of the most imortant steps in their life and religion and i completely respect that.

Law i have no problem talking about, religion i'm a bit more nervous. I personaly have a problem with the way religion controls and has influence in the governement however i don't have a problem with people chosing to be religious. Religion is available for anyone who choses to participate and i believe that open choice in Australia is great however when it starts to impact the lives of people who don't chose to participate it is a problem. Marriage is no longer a solely religious event and i believe the laws need to change to reflect this.

Also there is all the stuff if your partner is from overseas, sometimes to stay together you have to get married!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Such good points @watsupman youve had some great insights tonight thanks so much for contributing 

Great points watsupman!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@watsupman  

that is written much better than how i wrote it!!!!

what is the role of the law and religion in marriage these days?

From my perspective the laws role is to govern the "rules" surrounding marriage (e.g. who can do it), while religion is involved in people's ceremonies, values, decisions and traditions about marriage. I am Catholic and some Catholic traditions will guide my decisions about my marriage and ceremony (but not all of them), but I think that marriage as a whole has more legal implications than religious ones for most people.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments tonight! We appreciate you all sharing your opinions and experiences....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Thanks so much for contributing to the conversation tonight everybody, its a touchy subject this one!! Remember if you ever need anyone to talk to, check out our forum page, we're here to help! 

hey @delicatedreamer  

My partner is very religious and alot of what he believes about marriage is solely derived from his experience.

For me it is a more religious entitiy, but thats jsut me Smiley Happy