cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Me time

What are three things you can do this week to better look after yourself?

Good question, there's nothing like goal setting.

1.  Well I do have to have a bath again!  Which means I need to go to the store Lush and buy myself another one of their awesome handmade products to add to it.  I'll get there.

2.  Do a bikram yoga class.  It's 90minutes and 40 degrees, but makes you feel like you're on top of the world afterwards.

3.  Spend some time making some candles and all the other crafty things I have planned.

1. Schedule in 5 minutes of me time everyday.

2. Have an hour or two of me time after my exam as a reward for all the uni work I've been doing over the last couple of weeks.

3. Do some 'positive writing' to remind myself of all of the positives in my life and all of the things I've been doing well lately.

I've got to go now, but thanks for a great discussion tonight guys. And thank you to Rosie, MM and gail for facilitating. See you all next week! Smiley Happy

1. Go for a walk, even if it be to the park and just sit there on the grass, swings where ever.
2. Try some meditation (will be using google to help one a technique first)
3. Have a nice long hot bath to relax

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Woo! I'm so glad to hear we all have amazing plans for "me time" in the coming week!!!

For me... I'm going to:

1. Run around the backyard with my dog for 10 minutes 3 times this week... he loves playing so much.

2. Do some kind of baking... or cooking... depends on what I feel like.

3. I'm going to do some quilting! I've been meaning to do that for ages!

Good luck with it all guys! I look forward to seeing how we go!

Love these so far guys!

My three:

1. Stop putting off studying. I am going to make a (doable) exam study roster, and stick to it, so I don't end up stressed at the last minute.

2. Make sure I'm getting outside to do some exercise each day (going climbing again this weekend... woo!).

3. Drink at least 2L water a day.

Okay, time to wrap up. Here's a bit of a summary of tonight's conversation.

So, we started off talking about what 'looking after yourself' actually means. You guys came up with some suggestions of what it means to you:

- paying attention to your needs

- putting your needs first, & doing things to fulfil them

- having time to yourself

- recognising your limits

- physical health: eating well, sleeping enough, regular exercise

- listening to your body & mind

Then we talked a bit about the barriers that might prevent us from looking after ourselves in the ways mentioned above. There were a few pretty consistent themes across your responses, including:

- time!

- feeling like there are 'more important' things to do

- lacking motivation and energy

- perfectionism

We agreed that looking after ourselves is super important, but we tried to narrow that down by asking you guys how looking after yourselves might help you to cope when things are hectic. Again, your answers had some common ideas:

- escape from pressure

- balance

- help to relax

- improve day to day life

- increase resilience

So… looking after ourselves has loads of benefits, but as well as doing things like knowing our limits and maintaining good eating, sleeping and exercise patterns, taking time out for ourselves can also be important. We asked why taking time out might be beneficial, and you had a few ideas:

- avoid burnout, stress, anxiety

- get some perspective

Then we started talking practical ideas of things you might do during your 'me time'. It's great to see such a range of ideas! Just goes to show that everyone chills out in their own ways. Here's some of your suggestions:

- go for a walk

- listen to music

- play with pets

- get away from technology

- be 'in the moment'

- cooking

- doing crosswords/puzzles

- have a cup of tea Smiley Happy

- do something creative

Then you guys made some goals of things you can do this week to better look after yourself Smiley Happy

Thanks for joining in everyone! 

@Bee wrote:

1. Go for a walk, even if it be to the park and just sit there on the grass, swings where ever.
2. Try some meditation (will be using google to help one a technique first)
3. Have a nice long hot bath to relax

Meditating is awesome Bee.  I do it almost everyday.  Just try to find yourself a guided meditation.  It will tell you exactly how and what to do.  Smiley Happy

Night guys! Smiley Happy Thanks for a great session. See you next week!

Goodnight all!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.