cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Me time

Do you currently do these things? What barriers do you think stand in the way of you doing them?

I think I'm getting better at doing these things more but I know I struggle with it sometimes. My biggest barrier is being depressed - I lack to the energy to do nice things for myself or I convince myself I should just be able to get by without it all and cope perfectly. Yep, being a perfectionist doesn't help. Smiley Tongue

Re: Thanks for joining us everyone! It's great to hear how ev...

Do you currently do these things? What barriers do you think stand in the way of you doing them?

Not as much as I should. The main things that stop me are not having enough time and prioritising me time as much as all of the other things I have to do/

Totally get the feeling of perfectionism, loki! I struggle with this too... Same with not thinking I deserve it! But we do! Everyone deserves time out for themselves!

DD - yep, totally agree. I sometimes think we should all plan to have 15 minutes of "me time" every day! 15 minutes isn't much and I'm sure we can all achieve it!

I also find that I multitask all the time! But that's probably not good either!

@lokifish: I agree about feeling like you should be able to cope perfectly. That is a barrier for me too.

Great to hear that we are aware of some of the barriers we are facing...

Do you think that doing these things would help you to better cope with life when things get hectic? What benefits do you think doing these things might have on your life?

I don't always find the time to do these things. It's hard because all the things that keep me busy are things that I want to do because they make me happy, they help others, and I just like being busy in general. The hardest thing is knowing when to say 'no' to people, and understanding that it is okay to say no. That's what I'm trying to work on at the moment.

Time is a massive barrier for me too, and feeling like there are more pressing things to do than something like taking time out to just chill.

Hey guys, sorry I’m a bit late… I’m currently swamped with a heap of work, though I’m taking a bit of a break to partake tonight; definitely a topic I need to partake in Smiley Happy

Q. When there's a million things happening in your life, what do you do? Push on like a machine? retreat and pretend it isn't happening, or somewhere in between?
A. I’m more prone to pushing on like a machine, though it doesn’t work too well for me… I usually get stuck in trying to ‘push on’…

Q. What does 'looking after yourself' mean to you? If/when you were looking after yourself, what kinds of things would you be doing?
A. looking after yourself to me means taking time out to appreciate the things you’ve done right and give yourself a break from all the hectic-ness of life. Looking after myself would involve taking time out every day to relax and free my mind. Though in smaller ideas I take time out to relax my mind for a breather, I tend to play a game of mah-jong or write, they help to subside thoughts so I can keep functioning

Q. Do you currently do these things? What barriers do you think stand in the way of you doing them?
A. No, I should be looking after myself better. Though I write a lot and use mah-jong as a bit of a copping technique
Barriers are my mind – pushing me to get the work done, to keep going until it’s all done, sometimes at the risk of my own health… another barrier is motivation, a big one for me… I find it hard to get motivated to take time out and seem to think that pushing on through the times I don’t want to do homework will get the best result – it doesn’t

We reflected on the joys of 2019

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

Great to hear that we are aware of some of the barriers we are facing...

Do you think that doing these things would help you to better cope with life when things get hectic? What benefits do you think doing these things might have on your life?

For sure - when I'm looking after myself (both physically and mentally) I respond MUCH better when things get busy or overwhelming.

Yeah I do. I think the benefits of doing these things are that they give me a chance to escape the pressure of uni and assignments and give my life a bit more balance between work and leisure and help me to relax.