cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Miscommunication \ mis·com·mu·ni·ca·tion noun \ mis-kə-ˌmyü-nə-ˈkā-shən

This is absolutely what I do, too...

The worst is with texting. I know that we are all busy and have a lot going on in our lives, but I still make texting / communication a top priority... I think that my natural light-hearted childishness comes across as annoying or like I'm trying to cause pressure and stress, because I sometimes send 3 or 4 texts in a row as stuff pops into my head... I try to stop myself, because I know I'll be misunderstood, but I just keep doing it to myself. On top of all this, I wear my heart on my sleeve and feel way too much.

So of course, my mind goes into overdrive when someone I like doesn't write back for an entire day, if at all. Everything runs through my head: "have I done something wrong?" "have they heard something untrue about me?" "do I mean so little to them, that they can't even take 5 seconds to send a yes or no answer?" you name it, it comes into my head... It reaches a point where I make myself feel physically ill, I can't concentrate at work, and I call my entire sense of self-worth into question.

It might sound a little extreme, but yeah: it's amazing the effect something so small can have on such a large part of me.

Here is for the next question of the night Smiley Happy

What are some common factors in miscommunication? (eg not listening, not using active listening to make sure you understand etc) 

I agree as well, I use emoticons alot because its so hard to joke or be sarcastic using text and emoticons can help with that.

Assumption is the biggest cause of miscommunication... Instead of asking the other person to clarify things, we draw our own conclusions which are often wrong

Hey Hels, some good points there.... We can't fault having your heart on your sleeve but yr right it does leave you open for hurt!! And I thinkwe have all had the no-reply panic only to find out their phone had no battery or something like that!!

(welcome, by the way!!)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Within social media, it is perhaps our need for brevity and quick response that brings about misunderstandings? The use of emoticons etc can also seem sometimes flippant in a serious conversation despite the intent. Because social media (and words in general) are unable to convey either intent or tone, one can often be misunderstood Smiley Sad

Hey Hels, Welcome Smiley Happy

I agree and you are not alone in that. Sometimes I send a million messages before someone replies and I think that is a bit normal to do because texting is like having a conversation and so we treat it that way at times. 

It is very easy to think otherwise especially when you know someone always replies, so you are definitely not alone 

Thanks for joining our session, please stick around and share more of your experiences with us Smiley Happy

Welcome Hels to the Reach Out Forums great to see you here! Smiley Happy

I also have a ver bad habbit of sending text after text because I forget to put something in or like you said if things pop in my head. 

I stress at times to if people don't reply to me it comes so natural to me...  But I often find that finding something that keeps me busy keeps my mind of it. Do you find anything that helps you lower your stress about this?

Things effect everyone in a different way, even though it might seem to small to one person is might seem like a big issue to another person all issues are important that we go through no matter how big or small so I don't think that it is extreme at all Smiley Happy

Hey Isbiafra Welcome to the Reach Out forums Smiley Happy

I totally agree with that it is very hard with social media/text or email etc because you can't hear the tone in someone voice like you can on the phone or in person which can make it hard and make it very easy to misunderstand what is happening. 

Hi Isbiafra 

Yes that is true emoticons are very cute and it is sometimes hard to be serious when you have cute emoticons with sad faces. Thank you for coming on the forums and we would love to know more of your experiences and opinions.