cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Miscommunication \ mis·com·mu·ni·ca·tion noun \ mis-kə-ˌmyü-nə-ˈkā-shən

I agree DD.. This is embarassing to admit but I didn't know that capitals meant someone was yelling at you until a couple of years ago lol and I always used to write in capitals and always wondered why people asked if something was wrong. Smiley Tongue silly me lol

Wow amazing answers so far everyone I look forward to reading more Smiley Happy

Next Question - What positive or negative effects do presumptions have on communication? How can we avoid making presumptions?

Thanks for making me feel so welcome, guys!
I don't feel like such an outcast, knowing I'm not the only one who goes through texting anxiety.

It is true... I need to throw myself into something else instead of spending all day worrying about what someone else is up to. I do a lot of writing, plus I've just joined a gym. Physical activity would help relieve a lot of anxiety, as well as take my mind off the things I can't control... For a while anyway

I should have said...HEY Y'ALL!!

@ruenhonx It's a long story. BUT to get to the point.

One of them (i would call her my soul mate) never used to respond to my messages...or take 3 days to reply. Or not show up to things and not tell me why. Or get back to me.

She sent me an e-mail explaining herself. I responded with one word:

Whatever.

I acted on anger and frustration. MASSIVE BLOW UP. Tried to 'resolve' it. Had an argument in Max Brenner. Everything was supposedly 'okay'. Then after a long period of time she cut me off on FB. Couldn't see anything. I'd sent her a load of texts, e-mails just saying hi and telling her what I was up to. She ignored me completely and I didn't hear from her for over a year. This year I organised a get together with a group of us. She came... She then started messaging me and talking to me. It freaked me out. I didn't know what was going on. Talked to my psych about it, went in expecting nothing when I met up with her. And now I'm good about it.

The other one...well I got annoyed with her cos she always cancelled on me. So i left the ball in her court. She didn't know what happened. Just knew that she hadn't heard from me for about 15months...but never thought to send me a text. I attempted to meet up with her on various occasions. All failing. She was scared of what I was going to say. In the end I sent her an e-mail explaining what I had done and why she hadn't heard from me. (didn't blame her for anything). NOW we're all good. Smiley Wink

SOOOooo...moral of the story here...acceptance. Accept what is and don't 'punish your friends etc'...because you don't end punishing them, you punish yourself!

I also found that a lot some people don't know the slang a lot of people use on social media etc... like LOL - Laugh out loud some people often take it for Lots of Love... So grammer can be a massive miscommunication I find.

@Hels - I find that physcial activity (Like the Gym)  is a awesome thing for aniexty/ mental health it puts your mind of what is going on and is also really good for your physical health Smiley Happy

@DD Oh yeah I never use shorthand in texts! I hate it.

@ruenhonx...ummm yeah the capitals are a big tell tale of how you feel, and the grammar!

What positive or negative effects do presumptions have on communication? How can we avoid making presumptions?

By not assuming anything.

Ohh wow I love this SOOOooo...moral of the story here...acceptance. Accept what is and don't 'punish your friends etc'...because you don't end punishing them, you punish yourself!

You seem to have learnt alot and that is amazing and glad that your experiences have made you a better person Smiley Happy

I guess we fall into the trap of believing that our 'news' or issues, or what we have to say, will be of great importance to the person, and when it is not received in a 'correct' nature, it starts the vibe off wrongly perhaps?

Meaning, if i was to detail 1) this great thing happened to me 2) this trivial thing was funny 3) still feel this: and they weren't taken in the way or order or depth that i'd want, even if the person responded in a sincere way, it would be on a wrong foot.

@Hels... I do yoga everyday now. It's amazing and you forget about everything for a while. I think that's why I've become so addicted to it. More so then when I had my gym membership.