cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: More than the sum of my parts

Personal identity for me is the bundle of things that when you add them up, they equal me! 

Not everything about my identity is unique, I share a lot of things with others, but I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people who has all my traits rolled into one. I like thinking about all the things that are very 'me; because they make me feel indispensible, and like the world might not be the same if I hadn't been born 

Smiley Happy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Great answers so far everyone! So, we have a good idea of what personal identity is but: Why is it important for us to embrace/accept our own personal identity? What (positive) impacts could this have?

Highlighted

Hey guys, this is a great topic, because so many people that have mental wellness issues tend to struggle in different ways with their sense of personal identity. 

I think for me it is about that sense of 'belonging'. The things that I identify with and make me feel like me. Now that I am a bit older I am mostly OK with all of those things (OK, there are some things I would still change!), but when I was younger I really struggled with some of them. I think when you are a teenager there is so much pressure to conform that you feel like having an individual identity is something to be frowned on... Which is a shame, as it is literally the thing that makes us the most interesting to others.

Do everyone else feel that their sense of identity gets stronger as they get older? Or am I out on a limb here! 

Hey! I'm new to this Smiley Very Happy

What does self identity mean to you? Well I think it means having an awareness of who you are, the good and bad traits, and embracing them. It's about knowing who you are, and being honest about that to other people. 

Welcome BennyW
Yeah I agree, when I was younger, my identity could be changed very easily and as I've grown up It has become stronger because I can stand up for what I believe now Smiley Happy

Why is it important for us to embrace/accept our own personal identity? What (positive) impacts could this have?

I think it's important so that you understand who you are and feel more sure of yourself. I think this could allow you to feel less self-concious and more confident in yourself.

Hellooo everyone Smiley Happy

Why is it important for us to embrace/accept our own personal identity? What (positive) impacts could this have?

I think it's important for us to embrace/accept our own personal identity as it can help us live happier lives - you have to live with yourself 24/7 so it can help if you accept yourself for who you are. It can impact us positively as it can help you be more confident within yourself and not be afraid to be 'you.' It can help you figure out what direction you want to go in life so you don't wind up miserable doing something you hate. Smiley Tongue

Welcome clare
You are very right, honesty is very important to determining your identity and embracing it is very important as well because this changes the way you see yourself

Welcome lokifish

I agree with that and I like how you said you live with yourself 24/7 and if you dont like or accept yourself who else will right?

I totally agree BennyW! I think you get to know yourself better as you age. Just like you get to know other people I suppose.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.