cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: More than the sum of my parts

About getting a stronger sense of identity as you get older... I think that's the bizzarre thing about me though, and one of the things I'm struggling with at the moment, is that I used to be so sure of who I was and my identity when I was younger, and now I think I've begun to question a lot of things so I'm not so sure anymore. Although I guess I'm still young... I'm 18 Smiley Happy

Hi everyone, sorry I'm jumping in a bit late.

What does personal identity mean to you?

I'm not actually that sure, I've never heard or thought about it before.

I'm thinking of personal identity as the person I identify and think of myself as, what the mixture of little and big things about me equate to; the entity of me.

Why is it important for us to embrace/accept our own personal identity? What (positive) impacts could this have?

If you can't find a way to accept yourself, you're just doing yourself harm. You don't have to love or even like every part of yourself, but you have to get past those unchangeable bits. You'll just make yourself way more miserable than you can and should be.

Embracing yourself lets yourself be who you long to be, this lets you be happy and content and much more likely to enjoy your life. I think it's in the long run that you'll find the biggest impacts as you'll be giving yourself a better world to live in. 

Hey Rosie, that is a brilliant point. As we get more comfortable in our own skin, we tend to also be more accepting (and even excited by) people being different to us.

We probably tend to wear rose-coloured glasses about the past and think that we were always totally accepting of everyone else, but in reality most of us teased other kids about being different in some way. I don't like to admit it, but I know i did. 

Welcome graphiqual

I think identity is never set, I think when you change your environment, get more educated, learn alot, have different life experiences that can change your identity and questioning alot, I feel is normal.

Welcome Birdeye

Glad to have you, you seem to have a good understanding on personal identity and that is amazing.

@graphiqual - Oh yeah, you are just a spring chicken! I think you do get more comfortable with yourself as you get older, but you also have periods where you really doubt yourself... no matter how old you are.

I'm only 17, so can't really be sure about the effect of growing up but I think that when you're really young you also are very much yourself because at that point most people don't take societies views into consideration.
I think early teenage years are the one time almost everyone isn't really themselves, from then on people accept or embrace themselves anywhere from the late teenage years to the moment they die.
We also have to remember that when we're older the person we are is going to change have changed from the person we were.

I think Birdeye just made a really good point - society plays a big role in how we perceive ourselves, much more than most people realize

There are some awesome answers here and we've talked about how embracing you identity can be positive but How could not accepting your personal identity impact on your mental health?

How could not accepting your personal identity impact on your mental health?

I know that losing my sense of self (my personal identity) and doubting who I am as a person was one of the things that contributed to me becoming clinically depressed. Desperately trying to be someone you're not can make you feel lost and make you feel down about yourself.