cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: More than the sum of my parts

What is one thing that can help you improve your personal identity?

Some of you have mentioned how journaling can help you with personal identity and I think its important to keep that up and I want to start journaling too 

@lokifish wrote:

I feel like I used the word 'people' too much in that last post... Oh well Smiley Tongue

People are awesome so it's all good! Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

I think that being optimistic can help improve our personal identity, as well as good self-esteem

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Write a list of all the things that shape your personal identity so that you can refer to it when you're feeling lost.

Really be honest about who I am with myself and others and not hide the things that make up who I am. 

Try and try and try! You don't know if you enjoy something if you don't try. Try things that are different to what you know and currently experience, how else would you know you're not mistaking everyone else's personal identity with your own.

If you're interested in something, move it the top of your to do list and actually do it.

Awesome sauce discussion everyone! Smiley Very Happy Tonight we discussed all about personal identity- what it is, why it's important, how it can impact on our self esteem and mental health and how we can embrace it.

To us personal identity means that we are aware of who we are, how we see ourselves and how others perceive us. This can include our cultural identity, sexuality, spiritual/religious beliefs, our values, our gender, our personality. Some parts of our identity will be the same as others (such as gender) whilst some may be different. It can tricky to work it out sometimes, such as because we feel pressure to conform (especially from society) or we haven't experienced certain things/found them out or sometimes mental/physical illness can have an impact. It's also important to remember that there are good and bad parts to everyone's identity but being honest about who you are can make a big difference. 

Embracing our personal identity is important because only you can work out what it is,  it can help you become more sure of who you are and more confident in and of yourself, it can help us to lead happier lives, and it can help to give us direction and work out what we want to do in life. It can also, do you harm if you don't accept who you are because you can't reach your potential if you're hiding your true self,  it can make you more miserable, it allows you to be you.

Not accepting your personal identity could make you doubt yourself,  feel lost, down/depressed, like everyone is judging you, anxious, like you're not good enough, lose self-confidence and have low self-esteem, impact on your relationships with others, or make you feel insecure.

Some reasons/ways you became confused about your identity were the pressures and opinions of society, hanging out with the wrong people, allowing society/family/friends, etc to influence you, not being ready to embrace who you are.

This made you feel unsure about yourself, made you question your flaws or what was 'wrong' with you.

Some ways you overcame this was by learning to accept who you are, blocking out the negative opinions from others, looking at the concrete things that you know make up you and working from there, spend time away from things/people that make you confused about your identity/spend time by yourself, keeping a diary as this can help you get a clearer picture of who you are over time.

Many of us found this a tough question to answer. But there were some great answers where we shared part of what makes us, US!

We also noted that our history can have a big impact on who we are today.

Some of your suggestions for improving personal identity were: surrounding yourself with positive people , especially those who accept you as you are, fill your life with as many positive experiences as you can, keep a journal, be optimistic, write a list of who you are some you can read it whenever you get lost or confused about it and be honest with yourself and others.

Thanks again for all of your great contributions tonight! Smiley Very Happy 

Great summary LUTW. Good night all! And thanks Rosie, LUTW and Ruenhonx for facilitating.

Thanks all for participating! It was great to hear from old and new faces Smiley Happy

Have a great night! See you next week.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Thanks for an awesome discussion tonight - goodnight everyone Smiley Happy