Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Moving past ignorance

Alright, on to the next question then.

2. Why do you think it exists?

Highlighted

I get that @Birdeye - I find that some people with their current knowledge do not want to broaden their horizons or understand other people's views. 

Hi everyone!

I think that ignorance is generally accepted as a negative thing for everyone except for the person who is ignorant. We've all heard the saying "ignorance is bliss"? If you're not aware that you're unaware, then you have nothing to worry about! But it sure can be frustrating for everyone else. 

Highlighted

Wow, great answer Shona. I really agree with everything you just said.

Highlighted

Welcome Shona 

I definitely understand what you mean and it can be very frustrating. 

Why do you think it exists?

To begin with, there is simply too much information out there for everyone not to be ignorant. We're all ignorant.

I think that people also get so accustomed to what they have been taught that it becomes a hard thing to change, and when they respect/care about the people who have taught them this stuff, they want to believe them.

A lot of the things we want to believe, although it leaves us ignorant to the truth, also benefits the ignorant person.

Highlighted

@Birdeye wrote:

To begin with, there is simply too much information out there for everyone not to be ignorant. We're all ignorant.

I agree, we are all ignorant to some extent, I think ignorance exists from how we are taught, what we are exposed to and what we are not exposed to and also stereotypes influence ignorance. 

Maybe because there just seems to be a group of people that always see themselves as "superior" to others, so any other way of thinking that doesn't allign with theirs is, in their view, "inferior."

So in other words, it exists because of differences in thinking and an unwillingness to change our thinking/open our minds when confronted with a different view.

I think there's really heaps of reasons though. For some people the truth can really hurt...

I think there's probably a few different reasons why ignorance exists. We've already mentioned the whole deliberate vs. accidental ignorance thing - i guess some people are ignorant because they choose to be and they lack interest in other peoples' business, and some people are ignorant because they don't have access to resources that they can use to inform themselves. 

Highlighted

So we have talked about what it means and why it exists, have you ever had someone who was insensitive or ignorant towards you or your friends? How did you feel about it?