cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Moving past ignorance

That's a good point about people becoming accustomed to what they've been taught. It can be a really hard thing to hear someone challenge what you have always just accepted as truth. So i guess what that means is that ignorant behaviour is not easily "fixed"; everyone has their own truths.
Highlighted

Definitely, we all have our own truths but we need to accept that other people have their own truths too. BTW Shona, your name is actually what one of the languages in Zimbabwe is called Smiley Happy 

Have you ever had someone who was insensitive or ignorant towards you or your friends? How did you feel about it?

This was a little while back, but my parents made an insensitive remark about gay marriage being on the political agenda, not knowing that I'm very much in favour of it being legalized. When I told them my views on the issue I think they went into "denial" about it and couldn't understand that I believed something different to what I'd been taught by them. I guess it made me feel pretty crap at the time Smiley Sad

I have heard that before! That is a fact of which i am not ignorant Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Ignorance is a cage keeping us from the world, the more we are open to the more we will learn about life and our surroundings. In my personal opionion we should listen and be open to every idea and concept so that we have more knowledge on life and can pick and choose what is best for us

Highlighted

I've ocassionally heard people make remarks such as "that's gay" etc. I've had to remind them a few times that using gay as an insult or remark could be incredibly offensive and also that it's a really lazy thing to say.

Highlighted

Have you ever had someone who was insensitive or ignorant towards you or your friends? How did you feel about it?

I ALWAYS get ignorant comments, because I'm African I get lots of people who ask me whether I have lions in my backyard and because my hair is dreadlocks, I had one girl touch my hair and say "Wow, it feels like carpet" 

This used to hurt me so much and I used to get extremely angry and offended but now I just laugh because I understand that some people may not be exposed to someone like me and that's fine. It is better to ask and express than hold it in Smiley Happy 

Welcome sui caedes I agree with that, ignorance keeps us in our comfort zone. 

Yeah i definitely have! 

ALL the time in the media when people refer to any kind of religion or culture in ridiculously generalised, incorrect ways (terrorist = muslim, for example).

In my home town we had a lot of really ignorant people who really weren't afraid to tell others all about their ideas and opinions. It was really hurtful a lot of the time, and I found myself in many awkward situations, wanting to tell them off, but worried about their reaction.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.
Highlighted

Note: not tell them off as such, but challenge them about their assumptions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.