cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Moving past ignorance

I think there is a lot of ignorance around mental health. Ignorance because people do not understand how important it is, ignorant in how they think about others with mental health issues, and ignorant in the stigma they fuel, and negative assumptions they make once they learn someone has experienced tough times. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.
Highlighted

I definitely think challenging people is so hard I feel more confident challenging someone I know just because I know their reactions but people you don't know can immediately turn against you. I had a girl on Twitter today who was talking about Christianity and homosexuality, when I tried to challenge she just went off. So challenging is so hard because people can be so stuck with their views. 

Wow, great examples everyone. Especially the one about mental health.

Anyways, on to the next question:

4. Have you ever been ignorant towards another person or group?

Highlighted

Have you ever been ignorant towards another person or group?

Unfortunately yes. Although now that I'm older I challenge any assumptions I have that may be based on ignorance and am generally able to have others challenge my views without getting upset (provided that they're disputing my views and not me as a person)

I'm sorry I don't have much to contribute, I'm pretty ignorant myself about some things and in the answer to your next question, yes, I have. I don't always do it intentionally and most of the time I don't realise it until later.

Highlighted

I fully agree with that, if someone has a racist/demeaning opinion on something then I will let them go without a challenge, if they want to live their life in ignorance then they can as long as it isnt causing conflict among everyone.

Highlighted

Have you ever been ignorant towards another person or group?

I have to admit, before moving here I had this terrible misconception of Australian people by what other people said, what I saw in the media and the stereotypes. I think thoughts are one thing but actions can take an ignorant thought and make it worse. I think the only way to change views is being open to change and as lokifish said not getting upset when challenged is so important. 

N1ghtW1ng: it's great that you realise it, even if it's much later. A lot of people don't realise how their words or actions can be hurtful. Even if we can't control our actions in the moment, if we're able to learn from it, then I think that's good enough.

Highlighted

@N1ghtW1ng 

We are all ignorant to some extent on certain topics or ideas and sometimes its on purpose and sometimes its unintentional the importance is realising it better late than never right Smiley Happy 

Hey @n1ghtw1ng! It's so great that you're here, even if you feel lik eyou aren't contributing much. 

I (unfortunately) have been ignorant many, many times. I think it would be ignorant for anyone to say they haven't been ignorant!

I remember once assuming that someones mum and dad were not from australia because they had darker skin, and challenging them when they told me otherwise. I was only in primary school, but I remember being really confused and upset about why she was lying to me! I think that was am important lesson for me.... it shows that being ignorant isn't necessarily the same as being malicious or difficult, it's just that you honestly think something is true, when it probably isn't.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.