cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving past ignorance

Thanks to technology and the internet, it's getting easier to see the world's diversity and we come across many different people each day. We also have so much freedom to be who we want to be and express what we want to and because of this we have many different opinions, values, traditions, religions and ways of living.

Even though this is amazing and should be cherished, we also have to deal with ignorance. Ignorance is defined by Wikipedia as being uninformed or being unaware. Ignorance is often linked with being uneducated about a certain topic and can lead people to say and do foolish or hurtful things. Ignorance can come in many different forms from fairly mild to extreme; people can be intolerant from ignorance about a certain race, religion or tradition. An extreme example would be white supremacy groups - which we're sad to say exist even here in Australia. The lack of understanding and appreciation of others and their differences is ignorance.

Ignorance can stop you from moving forward and can also keep you negative and in a dark place so how can we move past this? What can we do to educate ourselves and others? We will be talking about how to move past ignorance and accept and appreciate people for who they are rather than discriminating them because of their differences.  

So come join us this Monday 20 May at 8pm AEST,  and learn what you can do to move past ignorance, how to focus on the best in people and how we can learn to stop being influenced by people that are ignorant around us. 

Re: Moving past ignorance

Happy Monday everyone Smiley Very Happy 

Welcome to tonight’s getting real session and facilitating tonight’s session will be Nathan, Rosie and I.

We’ll be discussing what ignorance is, how it can affect our wellbeing and how we can find and celebrate the differences of others and how we can move past ignorance.

As always if anything in tonight’s session upsets you in any way there’s an emergency help tab in the top right hand corner which we urge you to use. Also keep in mind that we want to keep this discussion safe for everyone so try to stick to the community guidelines. Thanks Smiley Happy

So to start us off tonight let bring on the first question

What is your definition of ignorance?

I see ignorance as a simple lack of knowledge and information.

Highlighted

Hey Smiley Happy

I'd say that I think ignorance is being unaware of something, either deliberately or unintentionally.

Welcome Birdeye and lokifish Smiley Happy I agree with you both, ignorance to me is not willing to learn or understand. 

Hey guys Smiley Happy What birdeye and lokifish said pretty much sums it up.

Highlighted

Welcome N1ghtW1ng glad you could make it Smiley Happy 

I don't think it necessarily has to do with their willingness to learn, just a persons current knowledge.
Highlighted

Hello all! great to be here Smiley Happy 

I agree with what you guys have said, but I also think that ignorance is sort of inherintly negative... its like, not having knowledge when you should have it...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.
Highlighted

Hi everyone,

I agree with ruenhonx, I think ignorance is being unaware or lacking knowledge but I also think that a person who is ignorant has some part to play for that.