cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moving past ignorance

Have you ever been ignorant towards another person or group?

I'm probably ignorant more than i'd like to admit, but not intentionally. I guess, in some strange way, it's good because it's ignites an interest in me to explore areas that i would have otherwise never explored. For example, i study languages and as part of that i learn all about other cultures. Sometimes i learn about things that i had noooooo idea existed, and yet i am inspired to learn more! 

Have you ever been ignorant towards another person or group?

Yes certainly. I still am of many.

One thing that I realised from earlier this year was how ignorant I was about scientology/scientologists. I only read a little bit about them upon realising but that little bit made me realise just how much my ideas (and the people around me's ideas) were based on assumptions and biased opinions.

Another one I find a few years ago was veganism, I remember it seeming so extreme and ridiculous to me until I learnt about the reason why and how it actually works.

The more I learn about mental illnesses the more I learn of things I was ignorant on and the more I realise how ignorant others are on the subject.

I think to sum up what people have just said: ignorance isn't always a bad thing as you can use it as a learning experience.

So this is an awesome and powerful session tonight, so moving on to the next question: How should we react when we experience or see someone being ignorant? 

I think especially with the expansion of the media, the beliefs of a strong willed minority are slowly being picked up by all sorts of people who don't really understand what they're talking about. With so much information flying around, I feel like some people latch onto an idea that they like the sound of and don't really have the information to back it up. I've probably been a victim of this myself - like, with the presidential elections in America i was all "yaaaaayyy Obama" but if you asked me why, i'd be like Smiley Indifferent

How should we react when we experience or see someone being ignorant? 

I think it depends on the situation. Someone mentioned earlier that there's a difference between thinking ignorantly and acting ignorantly - and so I think the reactions to these two things should be different. I think opening up some sort of dialogue with the person without trying to belittle their views like "well, what about ____ perspective on the issue?" could be a good start.

I think this depends on the way they're being ignorant. If it's obviously just an innocent mistake, then I think it's good to be able to enlighten people. Especially if you know this person.

If it's being used in a more malicious way, then it may be good to ask some questions which would inspire them to look into it more, or if you know them actaully provide them with some information, but if they're really stern on their opinion it could be an unwinable battle.

Lol. I have to say I'm a bit guilty of swallowing ObamaFever too. why? Well. He seems great. Nice and tall. Sturdy looking. Others who are like me like him. (end reasoning).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

I think that we should react positively to ignorance. When we experience being ignorant we can learn from our mistakes, gain new insights and be more open-minded about things. When see someone being ignorant, I think it depends on how ignorant they are being, if it is a really complicated topic or they are being close-minded, you shouldn't try to correct them, put them down and say that they are wrong instead, say what you think, give out information and let them decide.

There are two main reasons we got swept up with Obama - 1. He wasn't the other option.
2. He meant we'd be in a time of history as the first black president.