cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My favourite daytime drama: Facebook

With the advance of technology and the efficiency of the internet, sharing your 2 cents has never been easier.  Too many times, I’ve caught myself thinking how would I word that into a Facebook status or what instagram effects to apply on my photo to achieve the most ‘likes’? Since the launch of social media, there is a popular trend of online communication. This also include the old fashion emails, blogs (and now vblogs), podcast and forums. The down-side of online communication is that we lack body cues that would otherwise help us get the full picture of the message. It is times like this when we could get a bit stuck.

Have you ever come across a post on Twitter or Facebook where it triggered a nerve in you? Messages online could easily be misinterpreted and tension could occur into real life relationships. This is because we don’t see the reaction of our audience, this makes us ignorant of the impact things we share online have on others. On the other hand, if we are discussing a deep and at times embarrassing issue, it helps to not have that face-to-face contact. There are definitely pros and cons to social media, what other ones could you think of?

It is important to be able to utilise online communication in a safe and effective manner. What happens online could potentially cut and paste into our real lives. So on Monday 3rd of June 8pm AEST, we will get together and discuss the issues around social media. What impact does it have on us as social beings? Are we benefitting from being in cyberspace all the time, or are we missing out on present day life? What do you think of people who tweet about a fire in the building when they should be evacuating it? I want to hear your thoughts!

See you all there! 

Highlighted

Re: My favourite daytime drama: Facebook

Happy Monday everyone  Smiley Happy

Welcome to tonight’s getting real session and facilitating tonight’s session will be Doris, Sophie and I.

We’ll be discussing social media, what it means to us and how it affects our wellbeing and we will also share tips on how to stay safe online and to also connect with the online world as well as the offline world and keep our communication techniques strong.

As always if anything in tonight’s session upsets you in any way there’s an emergency help tab in the top right hand corner which we urge you to use. Also keep in mind that we want to keep this discussion safe for everyone so try to stick to the community guidelines. Thanks 

So to start us off tonight lets bring on the first question

How often do you spend on social networking sites a day?

Hello people!!  :-)

When at uni...TOOO MUCH!  I'd say about 3 hours a day...if not more.  Though as soon as I am holidays or away from studying I barely use it.

Highlighted

Welcome sagira!

That is interesting. Why do you think you spend so much more time on social networking sites when you are at uni?
Highlighted

Hey all! Well I'm in a position where I have to use social media for my job! But having said that, during work I mostly use professional accounts... and my personal accounts maybe... an hour a say? I have facebook, pinterest and twitter

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Way more than I should.

There have been days where it's been the main thing I've done, or the constant thing I've been on while doing other things.

Highlighted

Evening all!

Way too long! I'm not sure how long exactly. Probably over an hour if you added up all of the time I go on. I only go on for very brief periods, but I log on fairly frequently.

Highlighted

@Doris...it's because I often need to sit on my macbook and do 'uni work'. I guess it acts as a procrastination tool. I'm like...oh is I just quickly click and check...before you know it you've wasted 30 minutes.

I actually use an app called 'self control' for mac's. You can set it up to block yourself for an extended period of time from whatever websites you choose. It has really helped me.
Highlighted

Hey Birdeye.

I can totally relate with you. Why do you think we spend so much time on them?
Highlighted

Hey delicatedreamer

Welcome. Wow, little networking sessions. Everytime you click away must take a lot of self control and well Smiley Happy

@sagira - absolutely. I am a victim of that. There is always something to check out just when you were about to log out