cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Thanks for joining us Ruenhox! Agreed - I find if I don't...

Just fixed the link guys! Sorry, I'd put it in brackets and the hyperlink included them...

Highlighted

@sagira, if the muscle spasms keep happening it's probably a good idea to get them checked out by a doctor.

Yes, clock watching is awful! Best decision I ever made was to get rid of my clock!

@birdeye, your body temperature varies a lot throughout the night.
Highlighted

@Birdeye wrote:

I used to be a 'must have a shower before sleep' person, showers actually made me tired enough that I could almost fall asleep in them somehow over the last couple of years it switched to 'must have a shower in the morning' haha!

I don't wear make-up though, I've had it on twice this year and gave my face a great scrub pre-bed.  

Ohh...see I wear it everday, but hey, it's become so much a part of my routine that I really don't notice it.  If I showered in the morning I would be cutting into my 'sleep'.  Smiley Tongue  I take too long.  haha...

Also, I feel like I am the coldest person alive!!  So i have to be WARM when I get into bed.  Hot I can deal with, but if I am cold...I will never warm up without intervention (like a shower).

Highlighted

I've got to head off now guys, but thanks for a great discussion as usual. I really think some of the ideas in here will help me improve my sleep (hopefully!). Thanks to gail and MM for facilitating. Good night! Sleep tight Smiley Very Happy

ETA: Thanks for fixing the link gail Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Excellent Gail, I'm curious about it.

@mischiefmanaged wrote:
@sagira, if the muscle spasms keep happening it's probably a good idea to get them checked out by a doctor.

Oh I've been having them for years...they eased up when I was feeling more relaxed and content with life in general.  I know I'm doing it to myself and it's all psychological. 
Highlighted

Re: Thanks for joining us

Thanks Guys for a great discussion on sleep Smiley Happy I hope you all have a great sleep Smiley Happy 

Goodnight and Take care 

Thanks for an amazing discussion tonight guys!!

You all had some amazing tips and I really hope it helps you all get a better night's sleep!!

It's been a really informative session. For more information check out the Reach Out factsheets on sleep! http://au.reachout.com/Tough-Times/Physical-health/Sleeping-issues

To summarize tonight:

Tonight we started off with a great quiz and learnt some interesting things; some of which we didn't know and which surprised us a lot! Check them out here:

1. Teenagers, on average, need about 8 hours sleep a night.
(false - they need around 9 hrs)
2. After missing a night's sleep, driving skills are similar to those of someone who is drunk driving.
(true)
3. Sleep deprivation can lead to temporary psychotic-like behaviour.
(true)
4. Vivid dreams usually happen when we are most relaxed.
(false - our most vivid dreams happen during REM sleep, when our heart rate and breathing increase)
5. When we're depressed or having a hard time, we need more sleep.
(false - keeping a regular sleep/wake routine regardless of emotional state helps with keeping our emotions stable)
6. Getting a good nights sleep depends more on what happens before bed than in bed.
(true - our activities before we get into bed have a huge impact on how easily we get to sleep and stay asleep).
7. It's fine to nap throughout the day, as long as the naps are about 45 minutes long.
(false - while it is sometimes okay to nap during the day, it should only last around 20 minutes).

As a result of this we discussed how oversleeping can have negative effects on our bodies, including confusing them! So it's important to have regular sleep-wake cycles (if we can).

Next we discussed what causes sleep deprivation in young people (90% of us are sleep deprived).
- stress, over thinking, anxiety
- time management
- being upset
- relationship problems
are some of the suggestions that came up

We all seem to agree that sleep is great for us and has MANY benefits including:
- mood
- we get along better with people
- concentration/motivation
- we look better with sleep and as a result feel more confident!
- motor skills and our general wellbeing

Our next topic of conversation was whether what we do during the day impacts on getting a good night's sleep:
Yes!
- our mindset during the day… if we are feeling frustrated or anxious this will impact negatively. It's also important to try and achieve something every day!
- reducing stress
- having a regular sleep/wake cycle.
- eating regular, healthy meals during the day (not too close to bedtime)
- exercising regularly (but not too close to bedtime)
- limiting caffeine (and alcohol)
- getting natural light during the day

Finally we discussed the concept of "sleep hygiene" - things that can help us sleep and what hinders our sleep. Remember some of these mightn't work for you but might help others!
Some of our ideas include:
- getting into a pre-sleep routine to calm you down. E.g. no technology, have a shower.
- having no technology in your room, especially your phone
- sprinkling lavender oil on your pillow.
- ear plugs if you are sensitive to noise.
- sleeping mask if it's light outside.
- progressive muscle, berating and visualisation techniques and meditation to help relax you
- getting out of bed if you can't sleep and doing something else (lying in bed for hours is NOT helpful!)
- using your bed only for sleep.
- listening to calming music before bed.
- clearing your mind (write down what is worrying you before you go to bed).
- make sure the room is the right temperature for you

Remember if your sleeping problems are continuing for a long time, it's important that you talk to a health professional - your GP or a psychologist. There are heaps of other things that can help you get a good nights sleep that they can help you with!

Thanks for joining in tonight guys!!!

Sleep tight!

MM. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thanks for the summary MM! And thanks everyone for joining us tonight... now go get some sleep! (after doing some relaxing things and spending time off technology) Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Also another thing I tend to do...not go to bed when I am tired!!! Like I will be exhausted and delay sleeping, and then by the time I get to bed my feelings of sleepiness have waned. Bad habit!

So I say...go to bed when you're really feeling the sleepiness setting in.

Thanks guys. Smiley Happy Sleep well...