cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: POSITIVE THINKING!!!

So it sounds like all of us have experienced negative thinking at some point, which leads nicely into our next question...

Have you overcome your negative thinking? If you have, how did you do this?

@gail , yeah once I started thinking that I couldn't do it, I just stopped trying. 
Luckily the university took pity on me and allowed me to transfer into a different course. 
I am very grateful for that. Even though that failed semester cost me time, stress, tears and money, I think that it was a lesson that I had to learn.

Usually my negative thinking resolves around worry, so I would usually try to calm myself down by reading a book, playing a game, or something like that, and then trying to reason with myself with a calmer mindset and change my thinking.

I started to believe in myself, I used to stress and get angry and unhappy when the overall outcome was great so believing in myself and that gave me confidence and started developing some positive self-talk. 

@Rhelna it's amazing the amount of power that our thoughts have over what we achieve. And yep, sometimes we have to struggle to learn essential lessons...

@ruenhonx that's awesome Smiley Happy Could you explain what self-talk is, for anyone who hasn't heard of it before?

I think it's impossible to rid of negative thinking completely... You can handle and control it better (which is something I have pretty much achieved.... most days) and I think that's it? Maybe. There's always gonna be a voice in my head that may tell me that I'm not good enough or pretty enough, but how I challange myself on those negative thoughts will influence my happiness.

So yeah, I think challeging those thoughts is very important. It took me a while to learn how to do that, and sometimes it took help from others, but it's worth it.

Well basically there is positive self talk and negative self talk. 

Negative self talk are the things you say to yourself that make you feel like crap. I tend to say things like " You are an idiot" or "You wont pass this one" 

Whereas positive self talk is the opposite, things you NEED to say to yourself that give you a good feeling. Like "I am capable" "I can do this" "I am beautiful" 

Good points @dreamcatcher - I don't know if it's possible to completely eliminate negative thinking (if it is, I don't know anyone who has figured out how to do it!), but it is possible to learn to challenge and manage negative thinking when it does arise, and to learn to replace those thoughts with more positive ones which have a better impact on our lives. 

Challenging self-talk can be very difficult and positive thinking has to be on purpose because you cant get rid of it completely so next question: What makes it difficult for you when you are trying to think positive?