cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: POSITIVE THINKING!!!

I definitely agree with @dreamcatcher , it's hard to control, and sometimes no matter how many times you tell your self positive things, you still can't manage to change the way that you feel.

What makes it difficult for you when you are trying to think positive?

My own negative thoughts. When I get worked up enough I just can't stop thinking about the negatives, and even when I get the negatives out of my mind there is always some sort of recall cue around that brings them all back.

Hi, Guys,

I wellcome this topius as I find it is very important for the quality of our lives.

Yes, who has not have negative thinking. We all get them many times in a day. As long as we "return" our positive and joyfull feelings and manage to balance, we are ok. But sometimes we are just overcome with problems and emotional situations in our lives and then we find no strength to return into positive.

I "trained" myself into poiive thinkins some 12 years ago, as my mother went ill. She had a pretty bad form of terminal cancer. Naturally, I was shocked and sad. But soon I realised that those feelings might be natural but absolutely useless. So I fonud a way to keep myself positive. Because I  needed to take care of my mother there was no time for crying in a corner.

I realised that our problem is that we give our mind too much significance.We can not control our thoughts  (maybe for a short time only). And we take this life and all that we do, aspire, love etc too serious.

Nowadays I am mostly very positive and cheerfull. I try to see things as they are. Not to judge them. There is no good and bad, we humans label things and if we label something as bad and can not change it, we let that thing spoil our mood.

So, if you don't like something, change it, if you can. If not, either remove it or learn to live with it.

Not labeling things is a very good start. Not identifying with your mind. Don't take it too serious.

What makes it difficult for you when you are trying to think positive? 

Surronding myself with negative people is a big one for me.. I have certian people I know are not kind and really put me down. Especially when I've worked so hard building myself back up.

Also things like stress and stuff makes it difficult too.

@Rhelna wrote:

My own negative thoughts. When I get worked up enough I just can't stop thinking about the negatives, and even when I get the negatives out of my mind there is always some sort of recall cue around that brings them all back.

It sounds kind of like the negative thoughts are so ingrained that they've made a pathway in your mind, and you really struggle to replace them with more positive thoughts... Is there anything you've found that makes it a bit easier to focus on the positives, even if the negatives are still there in the back of your mind? I think to start with, replacing negative thinking with positive thinking will always feel forced and difficult - but it's keeping on trying that changes those pathways in your mind.

Hi @Sveto - thanks for joining us! It sounds like you've spent quite a bit of time working on your thought patterns. I definitely agree that taking a step back and not judging what goes through our heads is a great step in the right direction towards living happier lives. Not identifying with our thoughts is another huge thing - just because we think it, doesn't mean it's true! Thoughts are just thoughts, they are not facts.

In my opinion, the best way is to keep yourself busy and not to have time to think at all. As someone said (or rather posted on Favebook Smiley Happy ) "Brain + Time = depression".

Another way is to learn to make positive chioces in whatever you are doing. Carefully choose what music you are listening, whit what kind of people you surround yourself, how you deal with conflict etc.

@dreamcatcher I agree, negative people will always bring you down, negativity is contagious. 

@gail - Really it just depends on the situation, sometimes I can talk myself out of it, sometimes it's not. When it's not usually it's because I'm already convinced that this negative thinking is fact.
When I'm with my family I always find that they are at least a great distraction. They're amazing, and always make me laugh Smiley Happy

So most of us have agreed that even if you try, negative thinking doesn't necessarily disappear altogether. So, every now and then when negative thoughts do pop up...

Do you challenge your negative thinking? If so, how? What helps you to challenge your thoughts?