cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parents. Why won't they shut up?

Ok, so that's just a lyric from a song - but we've all felt it at one time or another - right?

Living with both parents and siblings can be a life of tolerance and temper control for some. We can’t help but be in each other's faces when we are living under the one roof. Life as a family isn't always the picture perfect as portrayed in the Hollywood movies. The few positive things with living at home like having someone to talk to in your immediate environment, having a roof over your head and having other family members help out with the house chores, cooking, paying the bills etc.

For others, parents can spilt up before you are ten years old and growing up in a single parent family has it’s shares of ups and downs. Seeing one parent only occasionally isn’t really the same as living together and can even leave you feeling replaced by another family if they get remarried quickly.

Once you move out of home, you relationships with family change but can still be fraught with trouble as you learn to be independent and they learn to let you fly with your own two wings. These situations can be tough but what kind of skills do we need to get by? I think communication is key. 

Living in an environment that is not 100% supportive and happy, coping skills and good communication become vital to keep our relationships healthy. In the next Getting Real we are going to talk about skills you find help a family function well together – no matter what form your family is in or where you are at in your life.

Family. Sometimes you love them and sometimes they drive you crazy. Sometimes you want time together and sometimes you need a break. Your family might be single parent, both parents, only child, a few siblings, lots of siblings, biological, adopted, made up of friends... No matter what your family consists of, they're the people you live with, love, who love you and are the ones you can turn to.

But our relationships with our families aren't always smooth sailing and healthy and that can impact the physical and mental health of all involved but we can work on them and increase positive/constructive communication.

Come join us Monday 8th April at 8pm AEST (remember the end of daylight savings this Sunday) RIGHT HERE to discuss what your family means to you, what part they play in our lives and importantly how we can keep our family relationships healthy.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Parents. Why won't they shut up?

Hey all! Welcome to tonight's GR session on Family.

Whether you live with your family or have moved away, have lots of family or only a few members, both parents, single parent, adopted, siblings or only child come join us tonight as we discuss the ins and outs of family and how we can increase positive communication and our family life in general.

Tonight's session will be run by Doris,  Lightuptheworld and Rosie.

If tonight's discussion makes you triggered or upset in anyway it's important to talk to someone whether that's a friend, family member or Lifeline. Also, so everyone can get the most out of tonight's discussion please stick to the guidelines.

To start us off: What types of family relationships are there? (eg. sister, brother, etc) Has the way term 'family'  changed over time?

Hi y'all! welcome to the discussion! I really don't think family needs to be biological or legal to be family... i define family as the people who support us and love us unconditionally...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey everyone I thought I was late then realized daylight savings Smiley Very Happy 

What types of family relationships are there? (eg. sister, brother, etc) Has the way term 'family'  changed over time?

sister, brother, mother, father, aunt, uncle, half sister, half brother, step sister, step brother, grandma, grandpa, foster child, foster parent, friends. 

Yes I think the term has changed because many families are mixing and blending Smiley Happy 

I think family is a pretty broad term. It can cover relationships between siblings, parents but I know I consider some family friends who I've grown up with as family Smiley Happy

I agree with Sophie though, love is the most important thing in a family!

I agree with Rosie, the bonds that tie a family together run deeper than just sharing DNA.

Hey rue!!! yep now perth and sydney are only 2 hours apart!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

hi mdugong!! yep i reckon the term family is more broad that it used to be too!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey dtperry! thanks for joining us!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Rue- Welcome to tonight's GR

You did point out some interesting dynamics there. E.g. Step- and half- siblings are definitely considered part of our family. It helps when society is becoming more accepting of different family types.