cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Positive bodies: avoiding thinspo and bigorexia

Hey all! Sorry I'm late Smiley Happy

Tell us one thing about your body that you like. Do you find it easier to name the things you like or don't like?

I like my hair colour best. It's auburn and I always get lots of compliments on it. Because of it's colour and how messy/ curly it is it often reminds me of a lions mane Smiley Tongue. I think it's probably easier for me to name things I don't like about my body, although there are several things I do like.

By the way, welcome to the conversation everyone! Good to see so many people taking part tonight Smiley Happy

Hi niknak: another eyes fan! I love to hear that you have learned ways to love yourself as you are! So happy to hear that!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

hi birdeye

i think mood for me plays a huge factor in how i look at myself on certain days. if i'm feeling positive i'll normally see the great things like maybe my hair is nice and my skin is feeling supple and fresh. other days i'll think i morphed into shrek or something.

Where does the pressure to look good physically come from?

Hey DD! Thanks for joining us... I love the sound of messy curls!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I feel that if we believe that society impacts our body image, then we shouldn't feel negative about it. Whilst it can be used to impact us negatively, we also have the power to use it in a positive way. Like complimenting people, being nonjudgemental and accepting, and trying to spread our own messages on the values that mean something to us.

Birdseye - love your point about Christmas coming up! It's an awesome time to slip some honest observations into those christmas cards and spread some cheer!

What is your definition of body image? Do you have positive or negative body image?

My definition of body image is how positive or negative you feel about your own body (which can be due to external influences such as family, friends, the media, tv shows, magazines etc. I think my body image is generally positive, but I can find it easy to become negative about my body if I'm not 100% about how I look on a particular day or at a particular event (this often has to do with comparing myself to others).

WRD: That's so true.. there is so much we can do to have a positive impact on those around us. While being truely happy with your body must come from within - external help won't go astray and might counteract some of that societal pressure! Smiley Happy

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Where does the pressure to look good physically come from?

Society to put it in a nut shell. We have people look and judge us everyday for our flaws as well as the 'what we should look like' in magazines. Although we all know that it is Photoshop which can rarely be achieved, we try our hardest to get there.