cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Positive bodies: avoiding thinspo and bigorexia

Where does the pressure to look good come from?

Well I think it's a biological urge moreso than anything else. We're hardwired to want to impress potential mates.

That said, I think my main pressure to look different to the way I look stems from what I'm personally attracted to in other people. I walk past so many stunning people every day, and maybe I like the way they dress and eventually copy that style, or maybe their hair, or their tattoos, or their body shape, or anything else. It's just that some things I can apply to myself, and other things are just never going to happen or are unrealistic for me.

"other days i'll think i morphed into shrek or something. "
LOL!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

i think media as in glossy magazines, the music industry etc often promotes certain body shapes over others which can negatively influence people and their perception of their bodies

although you do have celebs who endorse a healthy body image

social media too swings both way. you see sooooo many gym photos it's hard to avoid it. in class the tutor asked how many of us go to the gym. and like 94% of us put up our hands. if you'd asked me i didn't think such a high figure was even likely.

Where does the pressure to look good physically come from?

I agree with Ali818, I think it's largely due to society. This includes things like media, magazines, family, friends, tv shows, music videos, culture, advertising, clothes shops... The list goes on! For me it can also be due to slipping into negative thought patterns too, and assuming that other people are judging me on how I look when in reality they're probably not.

whiterabbitday - 'It's just that some things I can apply to myself, and other things are just never going to happen or are unrealistic for me.' 

This seems really honest, but not in a negative way - tell me if I'm wrong! - but I like you're able to see things in other people that you like, and hopefully can use it to improve your confidence in your self image. Cool Smiley Happy

While we might be hardwired to impress a mate, what impresses is totally a construction! You can see what's defined as beautiful has changed over the ages - and even between cultures today. Having a tan and being really skinny is considered ugly in some asian cultures.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

i blame the media for a lot of things. but i have to say the pressure from family and friends is there as well. lots of my friends go gym. and parents can often say stuff like - wouldn't it be nice if you gained a few pounds you're too skinny ! they also suggest - don't eat too much or you'll be too fat ! (my asian mum, you just can't please her)

don't get me started on guys bulking up for Stereosonic and other music festivals.

There have been days where I haven't gone out, because I don't want anyone to see the way I look.

I am very accepting of others though. They may not be 'perfect', but I find no fault with them. As those people are real and raw.

Pressure really comes from myself and how I don't want to be judged when I step out of the house.

Damnit. Let's become peacocks. You're either blue or brown. So simple.

Or let's be individual and be whatever we want to be. Either way.

Where does the pressure to look good physically come from?

For me, it comes from my friends/family/work colleges etc. I'm naturally "skinny", and I constantly have people say "Oh wow, you are so skinny", "You are so beautiful, I wish I had your body", and because of this I always feel the pressure to look good physically.
Because people are always praising my body, when I do put a kilo or 2 on, I sometimes tell myself that its bad, and I'm getting "fat"...I even stop myself eating certain foods If I think its going to make me put weight on.