cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Positive bodies: avoiding thinspo and bigorexia

Well everyone's talking about this already, so let's move on to the next question! What is the media’s influence on people’s body image? Does it differ between males and females?

Where does the pressure to look good physically come from?

I know it's not always true but for guys I always tend to associate looking good with being healthy and strong like some athletes. 

Also one of the most obvious pressures though is to impress the ladies...

The obvious answers are the media, peers, social norms etc.

But I find a big one is this new "fear" of obesity that has come out. Obviously this is related to the media. But there is so much hype about staying healthy, avoiding fast food, not smoking, exercising, following trends like pilates, Zumba etc. The pressure to conform is enormous. Obesity is bad - see list of 14980325034 associated increased health risks. But poor self esteem and disordered eating can be just as dangerous, which is something not enough people are aware of.

I agree with what has already been said - society. 

We feel pressure to look the way we think will make others think we look good.

Gosh - totally empathise with the parents and family things! So much sibling comparing!

Michine, that's a good point - trying to attract others! And people tend to think the only way is to look like a celebrated athlete.

Hey Guys, sorry I'm a bit late this evening. Smiley Happy

Tell us one thing about your body that you like. Do you find it easier to name the things you like or don't like?
I like theway my hair lightens off in summer, it looks so pretty
It depends on my mood. If I'm feeling not so well, I find it harder to identify things about myself that I like. But if I'm in a good mood and positive, I'm more able to dentify things about myself that I like...

What is your definition of body image? Do you have positive or negative body image?

Body image is how we percive our body, and whether we like it or not. A positive body image is where we like the way our body is and we accept it for what it is, and negative body image is where we dislike our body and don't necessarily accept how it is.

I have a negative body image. I've always been judged about my size and wieght and it's taken a tolld on my body image and confidence. But I think there is more to it than others; influences - such as being judged. Even when I feel like people aren't judging me, I still feel insecure and ashamed by my body.

@Whiterabbitday: We did a similar kind of thing in year10 pdh with writing the things we liked about each other on paper Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart
Highlighted

What is the media’s influence on people’s body image? Does it differ between males and females?

I stated above, about magazines and photoshop being evil and cruel.

Being a female, I guess I only see one side of it but I guess both genders have their influences from different medias. Eg. male footballers, nude calenders, bachelor pad etc.

What is the media’s influence on people’s body image? Does it differ between males and females?

I think the media has a big influence on body image because it has a large amount of control of what types of bodies we see on TV and in print as being desirable versus not desirable, which often reinforces stereotypes and misconceptions in the community. I can't speak for the guys, but for girls I think there is a greater influence on the needing to look a certain way from the female models that are used in advertising etc and also from magazines that are aimed at girls (not only do they have control over what size/ shape models they put in them, they also often run a lot of body-focused / weight loss articles such as 'how to drop 2 dress sizes in 10 days!').

THE MEDIA! I personally think that the presure to look good comes from the media! In almost everymagazine 90% of not all of the imaged we see have been altered in some way, be it lighting, blemishes removed, making people look thiner and taller ect. It's quiet disgusting... there is this dove beauty add that I really love because it shoes the way the image was retouched. The final image looked nothing like the girl they used for the photo shoot!

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart