cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: RUOK?

So some of you guys have mentioned that it can be really hard to tell someone when you're not okay, which leads into our next question... Sometimes, people find it really hard to ask for help. Why do you think this might be?

I think that because some many people don't know how to talk (huge part of it is listening) and this scares people who need help.

Great question @gail. It has got me thinking...

Sometimes, people find it really hard to ask for help. Why do you think this might be?

I think our pride can be a big thing. Maybe sometimes we get embarrassed to admit when things are not so great. It is like we live in a world where things need to be perfect or we always need to be happy. Has society created unrealistic ideals of how we should think and feel?? I am not saying this is entirely the case - but sometimes the expectations on ourselves and on life in general can become too much.

@Liz2013 wrote:
I think that because some many people don't know how to talk (huge part of it is listening) and this scares people who need help.

Good point - I think a huge part of some people not wanting to reach out for help is fear of what the response (or lack of response) will be.

Sometimes, people find it really hard to ask for help. Why do you think this might be?
Judgement, feeling like you may not be believed.
I know myself I can see it as a weekness,

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Great points @LeaLea07 ! It's weird though, because it's so unrealistic to think that anyone could be 100% okay 100% of the time - but for some reason, that's what so many of us strive for. I think that's part of why it's so important to hear more about mental health difficulties in society, particularly in the media, because it helps to breakdown those expectations and gives people permission to admit that we're not all perfectly fine, all the time - and that's okay.

@Bee - just out of curiousity, do you see others reaching out for help as a weakness? Or just YOU reaching out for help? Why do you think that might be?

@Bee - I completely see your point of view when you say people see it as a weakness. I think we are on similiar pages with what we think about asking for help. I think I see it as a weakness because I like being in control of how I feel, so I try to fix things myself.

Highlighted

- Don't want to admit it to yourself.

- Don't have anyone around who would actually care.

- Don't want to worry anyone with your "problems"

- Want to try to sort it out yourself.

Hello all Smiley Happy Sorry I'm late

Have you ever heard of RUOK day? What do you think it is about? Do you think it's a good idea?

Yeah I have known about it for a while now and think it is an awesome way to raise awareness about mental health.

What do you think the benefits are to reaching out for help? At what point do you think you or others should reach out to others for support during hard times?

Benefits - getting support (a problem shared is a problem halved and all that), and you might find out about options/ help for you that you weren't aware of. My motto is that you should reach out for help as earl as possible, however I don't always follow my own advice!

I think people find it hard to ask for help because they are worried that they are being a burden, that they might be judged for their problems, they think their problem is too small to warrant help, or they don't know where to turn/ who to ask for help