cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: RUOK?

Yep, I've definitely felt all of those things before about asking for help @mischiefmanaged - do you think they're helpful though?

Thanks for joining @delicatedreamer - great points!

@delicatedreamer - thanks for joining us tonight and giving us your input on the questions so far. You raised some good points about judgement and not knowing where to turn to for help. Lucky the awareness for services is gradually growing. Hoepfully the stigma surrounding mental health decreases more at the same time.

Highlighted

great discussion everyone, starting a conversation isn't so hard Man Wink we are all doing great at it tonight. Which leads me to ask this...

Have you ever been in a situation where someone isn't doing well, and you've started a conversation with them about it? how did you go about this?

I have a couple of times. I always offered to listen, then listened and then given them my details with the offer that they can call anytime. and yes I have gotten calls at 3am but what can you do.

@LeaLea07 wrote:

Have you ever been in a situation where someone isn't doing well, and you've started a conversation with them about it? how did you go about this?

Yep, many times. I make sure I'm one-on-one with someone, and that we're in a comfortable, relatively private environment. Usually we'd be talking about something else, then I would say something like "... so it seems like you've been having a bit of a hard time lately, how are you doing?". I think the most important thing is that if you're going to ask those questions, you need to be willing to listen to whatever the other person wants or needs to say back. Sometimes just sitting in silence and listening to someone is just as useful as offering the answers. I think just being genuine, open, and honestly caring about the person is what has helped when I've started those conversations.

@Gail: Myself, I've always had this idea that I can't be seen as anything but happy... I dunno.

@LeaLea07: Yeah, it's similar with me. control. wanting to to do it myself...

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

I don't think I've started one as such, but I know how to continue them well I think. I met up with one of my besties today and her Dad is really sick at the moment and I think I did a good job of checking in with her. I just started off with asking how her Dad was and just let her talk and tried to listen and not give too much advice as I think she just needed to get things off her chest. I also made sure to reiterate at the end the need to take care of herself and access supports (both formal and informal ones).

@Liz2013 listening is a great skill to have! People really appreciate it when they can talk and someone is just listening. Making yourself available is great but make sure you look after yourself as well Smiley Happy

I have found myself in similiar situations by making myself available. It can have an impact on us when we are being there for someone else. But it sure is a great feeling helping others through a difficult time.

@LeaLea07 wrote:

I have found myself in similiar situations by making myself available. It can have an impact on us when we are being there for someone else. But it sure is a great feeling helping others through a difficult time.

I think being available is hugely important. Just letting your friends know that you're open to talking about what is going on for them - even if they're not up for it at that moment, saying something like "if you ever want to talk about anything, just let me know" - that can give them the opportunity to come back when they are ready, and know that you're willing to listen to them.