cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RUOK?

We all have crappy days. Totally normal, right? But what about when it stops being a normal crappy day, or two, and starts affecting someone's life? Mental health problems impact around one third of young people, and despite mental health becoming more socially acceptable to talk about, suicide is still the leading cause of death in young people. It's been shown that having good social connections is a crucial protector against mental health problems, and an integral part of getting back on your feet when you're having a hard time. 

With social connections being crucial to mental health, it's really important that we all know how to talk to people when we're worried about them. Looking after our friends is so important, and starting a conversation when you're concerned about someone can be really important in stopping little problems from getting bigger. It comes down to three simple words: are you okay? It might seem easy, but lots of people find having these kinds of conversations incredibly difficult. It can be hard to work out how to approach someone, what to say to them, & what to do if they tell you they are struggling. 

RUOK day is coming up on the 12th September, and we want to make sure that you guys are all comfortable and ready to start conversations with anyone you're worried about. Which is why we're dedicating a Getting Real session to thinking about how to have these incredibly important conversations! Remember: a conversation can change a life.  

This Monday (9th September) at 8pm AEST we'll be talking all about why these conversations are so important, what the difficulties are in starting a conversation about someone having a hard time, & how you can overcome them to make sure you have a meaningful conversation that helps you look out for your mates. This session will be relevant to everyone, so come join! 

Re: RUOK?

Hey guys!

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real session Smiley Happy We'll be discussing how to have meaningful conversations in the lead up to RUOK day (this Thursday!). A conversation can make a huge difference - so tonight we're going to talk all about why it's so important, what the difficulties in starting a conversation can be, and how you can overcome those to make sure you have a meaningful conversation and connect with the people in your life. 

As always, it's important to keep the conversation within the forum guidelines, and if you need to talk to someone one-on-one, click here to find out who can help you out.

Let's get started! 

Have you ever heard of RUOK day? What do you think it is about? Do you think it's a good idea?

I have known of RUOK day since last year when we had a mental health expo at school. I think it is a great idea. 

Hey @Liz2013 - welcome to the forums and tonight's discussion! What did you learn about RUOK day at your mental health expo?

Have you ever heard of RUOK day? What do you think it is about? Do you think it's a good idea?

I certainly have - and I am a big fan of RUOKAY day! To me this day is about promoting awareness on starting conversations about mental health. Sometimes people find it difficult to approach difficult topics and ask difficult questions. It isnt always easy, but this day has normalised doing something we may not have felt comfortable doing a decade ago.  

I think it is a fantastic idea!

We learnt that RUOK day is an organisation dedicated to making suicide something that people can talk about and there lower the suicide rate. RUOK day as in the 12th is their major day for awareness and fundraising like White Balloon Day with Bravehearts.

@LeaLea07 wrote:

this day has normalised doing something we may not have felt comfortable doing a decade ago.  

Yep - I think this is super important, because going through crappy times is something that happens to all of us (and our friends, and family), and we need to be able to have meaningful conversations about those times. I think RUOK day has been great in getting that idea out there, and creating an opportunity for people to start those conversations.

Some other year 12's and I am making nice posters to hang around the school to tell people that they are loved and to encourage conversation. 

@Liz2013 - that is such a great idea. It is wonderful hearing about people becoming involved.

Hi all! I'm looking forward to tonights chat Smiley Happy

I've known about RUOK for a while now, and it's so great to see it getting bigger and bigger. I think generally most people are kind and want to help out their mates, but it can be so hard to know what to say when someone is down. I think it's great that RUOK gives people info on how to start the convo Smiley Happy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.